Yet Another New Floor Post - Start to finish floor replacement

• 172 Replies

jack22182

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
Here are some pics of our floor restoration on our 1975 180V BR, a work in progress. I\'m posting here so others can see \"yet another\" floor job, and would also like to get any comments about pitfalls we might be about to step into. We started yesterday.

First, a few \"before\" shots:

jack22182

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2004, 10:11:04 PM »
That was the rear seats and engine cover. We plan to redo the rear seats as a bench style seat.

This is a shot of the floor after the two captain\'s chairs are removed. The floor has a number of squishy spots and our attempt to temporarily anchor the seats failed after our big toggle bolts pulled right through the rotted floor. That was our first big clue about the condition of the floor.

jack22182

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2004, 10:13:34 PM »
Next a few shots of the disassembly process of the rear seat frame. The frame is aluminum square tubing. The welds are broken. Previous owner repaired with 90 degree metal repair brackets. I plan to take it to the welding shop for rewelding and reinforcement.

jack22182

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2004, 10:14:32 PM »
More rear seat removal

jack22182

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2004, 10:15:27 PM »
more

jack22182

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2004, 10:16:10 PM »
more

jack22182

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2004, 10:20:35 PM »
Here is the floor after the carpet was pulled up from the main area. This is after we started ripping the floor out. We realized we were getting ahead of our photo plans so we stopped and grabbed a couple of pics. It\'s gone now but there was a floor hole clean through the floor where the storage space was right under the rear seat.

jack22182

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2004, 10:27:27 PM »
This is the infamous waterlogged rotten foam mess that we\'ve seen mentioned here many times in the past. There is a lot of foam in this boat. It appears to be loosely fiberglassed in place with \"chopper gun\" chopped fiberglass strands. So far the stringers appear to be about 80% rotted.

jack22182

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2004, 10:28:45 PM »
Using a Dremel tool to cut the fiberglass mat where the floor meets the hull.

jack22182

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2004, 10:30:23 PM »
Using a pry bar to rip up the fiberglass mat after scoring with the Dremel tool.

jack22182

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2004, 10:34:53 PM »
Our stopping point today. Much of the waterlogged foam is out. My son has done most of the work so far. Exposing this part of the floor has given us the opportunity to make an assessment of the condition of the stringers and see firsthand how the floor is constructed. We are considering total stringer replacement. My son found that the seam between the floor and hull in the bow area is cracked all the way around, probably from accidently hitting a huge wave a couple of weeks ago. We may lift the top as described in Russman\'s post so we can get up to the bow area and really get into the entire floor. After we get the floor pulled up we will inspect underneath the bow area and take whatever action is needed. I am hoping that things under there aren\'t too bad though.

More to follow!

Jack

Anonymous

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2004, 11:24:09 PM »
Quote from: \"jack22182\":20g89zgm
We are considering total stringer replacement. My son found that the seam between the floor and hull in the bow area is cracked all the way around, probably from accidently hitting a huge wave a couple of weeks ago. We may lift the top as described in Russman\'s post so we can get up to the bow area and really get into the entire floor. After we get the floor pulled up we will inspect underneath the bow area and take whatever action is needed. I am hoping that things under there aren\'t too bad though.

More to follow!

Jack

I too am doing total stringer replacement.  

Before replacing stringers, I am going to lay up 2 layers on the inside of the hull.  In this case the inside of the hull was exposed to water, which has caused partial deterioration of the resin / laminate for the hull.  Also, I will laminate in a copper ground plane for HF radio.

A word of caution, I read the post you refer to about removing top deck.  I too will do this to replace transom, however several books I have read caution against removing both the floor and the top deck at the same time.  One author found out the hard way that this may cause the hull to lose it\'s form, making it very difficult to return the top deck when ready.

For Snoopy\'s Revenge, I will do hull and floor repair / replacement, and only when that is all done will I remove the top deck.  Fortuantely I have the luxury of time and a good workspace.  

Snoopy will not be getting wet this summer!

Snoopn\'  :D

The Billiken Rebel

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2004, 05:03:13 AM »
Wow, My heart goes outb to you guys starting these replacements so late in the spring. It\'s a hot, dirty, miserable job. But it is well worth it after it\'s done.

Pressure treated wood versus Cedar- I chose cedar not only for it\'s weatherablility, but also it seems to be more stringy if you know what I mean. I doesn\'t just snap and break. You have to actually twist and twist to get it to separate. Does that make sense? I did use pressure treated plywood though.

I strongly recommend replacing the foam. Actually, adding more than there was also. I filled the entire cavitity with it. It really quiets the ride when hitting waves.

Good Luck and remember \"Go slow and do it right the first time\"

Rebel:cool:
\"I\'m your Huckleberry\"

Racindude45

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2004, 07:57:52 AM »
I tell ya if my title don\'t get straightened around quick on my boat, I\'m startin this summer too!   :cool:
\" Dream as if you\'ll live forever. Live as if you\'ll die tomorrow. \" ~ James Dean

jack22182

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2004, 08:10:54 AM »
Quote from: \"Snoopy\'s Revenge\":1lajrg3d
Quote from: \"jack22182\":1lajrg3d
We are considering total stringer replacement. My son found that the seam between the floor and hull in the bow area is cracked all the way around, probably from accidently hitting a huge wave a couple of weeks ago. We may lift the top as described in Russman\'s post so we can get up to the bow area and really get into the entire floor. After we get the floor pulled up we will inspect underneath the bow area and take whatever action is needed. I am hoping that things under there aren\'t too bad though.

More to follow!

Jack
I too am doing total stringer replacement.  

Before replacing stringers, I am going to lay up 2 layers on the inside of the hull.  In this case the inside of the hull was exposed to water, which has caused partial deterioration of the resin / laminate for the hull.  Also, I will laminate in a copper ground plane for HF radio.

A word of caution, I read the post you refer to about removing top deck.  I too will do this to replace transom, however several books I have read caution against removing both the floor and the top deck at the same time.  One author found out the hard way that this may cause the hull to lose it\'s form, making it very difficult to return the top deck when ready.

For Snoopy\'s Revenge, I will do hull and floor repair / replacement, and only when that is all done will I remove the top deck.  Fortuantely I have the luxury of time and a good workspace.  

Snoopy will not be getting wet this summer!

Snoopn\'  :D

We did have what looks like some fresh rain water that had migrated between the foam and the hull, but so far the inside of hull looks pristine once the foam and chopped strands are removed. I will keep this in mind but for now we will probably look for any bad areas and do spot corrections if necessary.