And away we go!

• 57 Replies

bigpoppy

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
And away we go!
« on: June 08, 2007, 07:11:12 AM »
Started restoration on Memorial day.  Floor is up.  not much rot in the stringers and cross members.  I found something interesting though.  When they set the drain track under the center rear cavity (in front of the engine compartment)  the drain track for the ski locker was only on one side.  I am putting a piece of PVC in to complete the track before I glass it in.

I cut the foam into large pieces and have marine foam coming that I will use to bond the large chunks together.

Side blocks were moderately rotted.  I am using CPES to fill the pieces that weren\'t rotted.  All ends will get coated.  That is tomorrow.

Took Dionne\'s advise and am using epoxy instead of poly fiberglass.  I don\'t have the pictures of the new wood in place yet.  I designed a new drain system for the ski locker,  drain tube in front.  Drains into the drain track.  Drain tube in back, has a drain plug in back.  I will post pictures when I finish it.
if it\'s made of wood, I can do it!

The Big Poppy

bigpoppy

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
And away we go!
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2007, 11:14:51 AM »
Here\'s the ski locker drain.  You can see that the MT folks left off one side.  When they put the divider in, and then foamed the starbord side, it filled the cavity and blocked the drain.  Not good.  I will post pictures of my solution once I do it.  It is a more expensive way to do it, especially if you are doing many boats, but, it is a more viable solution.

The Big Poppy

bigpoppy

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
And away we go!
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2007, 07:45:50 AM »
shot the CPES today into the old wood (safety\'s sake).  That is some good stuff.  Definitely do it outside.  I used a fan to keep the fumes off of me.  I have all the new wood cut and this is probably overkill, shot all the edges with the CPES.  According to the Rot Doc, this is a good measure.  I bought the smallest amount of CPES so I had plenty extra.  Clean up was easy.  Highly recommend it.

The Big Poppy

bigpoppy

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
And away we go!
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2007, 07:49:30 AM »
if you ever wonder why the floors rot, here is why.  They do not coat the bottom of the plywood and they used CDX (cheapest dam exterior) plywood.  The wood has voids on each side.  The water hits those voids and many of us know that have ever sat in a leaky boat, you cannot stop water, it will find a hole.  Then it leaks into other voids, and when water, heat and oxygen meet wood, you get rot.  I cut the front portion of the ski locker out and will use the same board because there is no rot.  So I CPES\'d the crap out of the back and will coat with epoxy before it goes back in.

The Big Poppy

bigpoppy

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
And away we go!
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2007, 07:51:13 AM »
ski locker cut into new floor.  dry fitted everything.  getting there faster than I expected.  As soon as the CPES cures (3-4 days) I will be glassing the new support lumber in place.

The Big Poppy

russman

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
And away we go!
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2007, 10:07:46 AM »
Thats a fact  alot of boat manufactures ues the least exspencieve materal they can get away with.

its kind of like buying a new house the builders use the cheapest paint,light fixtures,carpet, ect,ect.
to increase their bottom line.

i had a nice looking 18.5\' 93 Skeeter fish and ski for a while.
guess how thick the flooring was in it?  
 3/8\"
and all the seats and upostery was stapled to gather with Steel staples.
so the entire interior rusted to pieces in no time!

i guess they dont want them to last for ever.

bigpoppy

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
And away we go!
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2007, 08:21:36 PM »
nope, thats a fact.  Waiting for the CPES to cure, got the exterior sanded and first pass at polishing to restore the original luster.
say good by to the \"Smoke on the Water\" crap.
Not too shabby for first pass.  You can see the shadow of the original Mark Twain on the side.  I have a local shop that is going to make me the original markings in the color to match my interior.
Separated the hulls and pulled the cleats off so I can polish.  Also, my fiberglass guy is going to do some cosmetic repairs so I don\'t want them in the way.  Pulled the carpet out from under the bow seat area and dropped her back down for now.  When I re-carpet, I will separate one more time.
Makin progress though.  Total time spent: two weeks, (actually 31 hours spent over that time).

The Big Poppy

bigpoppy

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
And away we go!
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2007, 08:22:25 PM »
oops left off the last attachment.

The Big Poppy

bigpoppy

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
And away we go!
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2007, 05:35:10 AM »
forgot to add this picture too.  This was the starboard side after one pass as polishing.

The Big Poppy

bigpoppy

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
And away we go!
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2007, 08:18:37 PM »
getting started on the epoxy application.

Also got port side polished.  Upper hull will be polished after repairs next week.

The Big Poppy

bigpoppy

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
And away we go!
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2007, 09:28:56 PM »
 :D  

The very last piece of red is out of my boat!!

Uncovered the pilot console.  Getting ready to put her back together.

polished the stern upper hull.  Gonna do it again.  Not shiny enough.

The Big Poppy

bigpoppy

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
And away we go!
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2007, 09:00:47 PM »
covered back of floor boards.  Cross members and replacement timbers coated.  Drain in for ski locker drain.  Upper bolster panels joined for 9 ft piece.  Glove box door new coat of black.

The Big Poppy

bigpoppy

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
And away we go!
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2007, 09:01:33 PM »
glove box door

The Big Poppy

bigpoppy

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
And away we go!
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2007, 08:50:53 PM »
well even though it rained most of the weekend.  I was able to get the floor in.

Stringers in Friday.  New drain for ski locker.

Epoxy coat twice on Saturday.

Third coat Sunday morning.  

After 8 hours, refoamed with marine foam (8 lbs total added to what I saved.  After 1 hour, trimmed the foam and installed the floor.  First coat of epox on the floor tonight.

The Big Poppy

bigpoppy

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
And away we go!
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2007, 09:04:19 PM »
here\'s the marine foam.  When the vendor says that it expands 10-25 times its liquid size, the are not kidding.  I had all the foam I had saved level with the top of the stringers.  This is what happened.  It floated.  Had to trim off the top after about an hour.  I put the pieces under the side panel,  extra boyancy won\'t hurt.  I added 8 cu ft and only cut out about 2 when I was tearing out.

The Big Poppy