The Sea Sprite Lawsuits - Copy cats

• 0 Replies

bigpoppy

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« on: September 06, 2006, 01:11:29 PM »
One of my friends\' uncle used to work at the Sea Sprite Factory in Crescent City, IL informed me this past Saturday that their company was in and out of court because they kept copying the MT designs.  They seemed to change something ever so slight that kept them from loosing the lawsuits.
I tried to find anything that listed this on the internet, but no luck.
Anyway, it seems that this was part of the reason MT kept losing money, because folks could buy a SS for less than they would have to pay for an MT.
Just a tidbit.
if it\'s made of wood, I can do it!

The Big Poppy

freddyray

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2006, 03:31:34 PM »
I always thought they looked a lot alike. There used to be a boat made in Missouri called a Delta that seemed to copy the Twain\'s also.

lilsinker

• +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2006, 05:23:42 PM »
There was another that I\'ve seen too. I think it was a Sonic, or V-Sonic (not a MT). I\'ve seen the Deltas before. I also saw a tri-hull jet drive that was on e-bay that was definately a MT clone. Can\'t think of the manufacturer though. ???
I said, GIVE ME THE ROPE!
Think you\'re \'Twain is fast?
Bring it ON!!

freddyray

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2006, 07:45:52 PM »
I think the same company that made the Sea Sprite also made the v sonics and the tri sonics.

lilsinker

• +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2006, 09:16:23 PM »
let\'s try this....click here

Damn! I can\'t get it right!!

there\'s a Cobalt tri-hull on E-Bay that is a clone! ???  ???

Edited By lilsinker on 1157595495
I said, GIVE ME THE ROPE!
Think you\'re \'Twain is fast?
Bring it ON!!

Mkb4550

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2009, 08:18:18 AM »
V-sonic was a registered trade mark of MT.  Tri-Sonic was a brand name belonging to the designer  Roy Rogers (not the cowboy).  Sea Sprite, Delta, Bonanza, Cobalt, Webbcraft and many others \"popped a mold from MT.  Mold  \"popping\" is a process which takes an existing hull and deck and builds a mold from there.  All MTs began as a design on paper. A \"plug is then constructed of plywood covered with chicken wire and shaped with modeling clay.  Once the desired features have been precisely sculpted the entire \"plug \"is gel-coated and waxed very heavily. At this point the process is reversed to build the female mold.  I over simpilified this but you get the idea.  Anyway the process is time consuming and very expensive.  There were many lawsuits over all of this Sea Sprite was only one.  There were suits from the Clemmons family over the use of Samuels likeness.  There were product liability suits, restraint of trade filings and on and on. When you are the biggest boy on the block everybody wants some of your marbles.

thompsonboat

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2012, 09:45:20 AM »
There is no evidence that any lawsuit was ever filed against Sea Sprite Boat Co. of Crescent City, IL for infringement on patents or trademarks or design in their jurisdiction of operation (Iroquois County, IL).

That does not indicate that Sea Sprite did not copy designs of other boat firms or that threats of legal action did not occur. It just indicates that no lawsuits were actually filed and recorded with the court.

I spent a day in the court house records in Iroquois County researching court cases, incorporation filings, etc. for Sea Sprite.

Andreas J. Rhude