Possible More Information

• 4 Replies

Anonymous

« on: May 21, 2004, 02:46:23 PM »
Came to a dead end....Chip stated that when the company folded up one of the Head of the company started his own company called Celebrity Boats...and that one of the women that had worked at MT had gone in with him...Her name was Kathy Vaughn...however the company has since folded up also...about 3 years ago..it was located in Benton, Ill....so I guess I am back to square one...but keep tuned for more developments...

biff85ta

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2005, 08:24:14 PM »
Celebrity sold out to bombardier and now build sea doo boats.
Celebrity was building boats at the same time as mark twain. The company that folded was Mariah of which the owner was connect to one of the local boat companies before he opened Mariah but I do not know which one. I will do some diggin around and see what friends and family know. Oh I noticed in another post it was said that mariah burnt. The building was untouched fro the most part but a small plane did crash into the yard of the plant shortly after its closing burning a few boats and doing a small amount of damage to the building.
The Mariah plant is now Godfrey marine.

Anonymous

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2005, 08:54:02 AM »
Thank you for the additional information...there is so very little in print that is available about the Mark Twain Marine Industries...most of the information that has been gathered has been from those like yourself and those who were there at the time....hopefully we will get the history recorded and placed on the site....thanks again...

biff85ta

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2005, 10:22:16 PM »
After doing some checking the man who owned and ran Mariah into the ground also ran celebrity into the ground but they got bought out before they closed and before he had celebrity he ran Mark Twain leaving it in rough shape or possibly closed. I know that toward the end mark twain was on again off again. It almost seems the man was trying to ruin the boat building industry in southern IL single handedly.

lestro

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2009, 10:10:14 AM »
Fred Claxton ran Celebrity boats was a nice guy, Jimmy Fulks started and ran Mariah Boats which went bankrupt, and there was a bit of scandal about the bankruptcy. Godfrey Marine took over the building and has since closed the Benton plant. The building now sits idle.