Anyone interested in my new project boat...... - Gonna restore another one.

• 294 Replies

user7483

• +1/-0
    • View Profile
I have finally found my new boat and it also has to be restored but I feel that I am up to it. It actually isn\'t as rough as the MT was when I got it but it needs some work none-the-less. It is a 1988 23\' Wellcraft Elite XL. Got it off eBay for a steal after haggling for over an hour. Needs engine work, new outdrive, and probably a new floor but for $800.00 it\'ll give me something to do for the next couple of months.

So it won\'t be long before I am at it again, spending long nights outside hammering, glueing, and refabricating a boat out of nothing. Wish me luck!!!

Edited By user7483 on 1157261748
Attempting to give a damn..... Unable to give a damn... Stopping... Process failed... Damn not given!!!

lilsinker

• +1/-0
    • View Profile
Holy Cow! You better get that suburban quick! That\'s a buet! I can only picture you being towed behind it on a parasail about 1000 feet in the air with a rod and reel!  :D    :D   I cant wait to see what you do with this one. I\'m sure that we all want to see!  Oh, by the by, UPS should be stopping by your place here this coming week. Let me know when they do,
   Thanks!
    Dave  :cool:
I said, GIVE ME THE ROPE!
Think you\'re \'Twain is fast?
Bring it ON!!

Anonymous

Yes, absolutely, I\'m interested in seeing what you do to this one now that you really have an idea of what to look for as far as structural integrity, etc.
800.00 ??? Damn! Not bad at all, If you keep that up maybe I should move to FL and invest a few bucks in a restoration shop..
As always, good luck and keep us posted!
Sam

russman

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
dam !

that seems like a whale of a deal! and you didnt have to drive 800 mile s to get it!

execelent project boat that 23 footer will be great on the Gulf.
1 remember fishing in Florida with my Sister around Tampa/Port Ritchie area.
We we went out to some Tanks the military sunk  about 15-18 miles out. had a blast fishing cought all kinds of fish!
and used a 23\' and a 19\" boat with no problems.

that Boat will be great when your done keep us posted.

user7483

• +1/-0
    • View Profile
Thanks guys, since it isn\'t a Mark Twain I\'m not going to take up Clint\'s bandwidth and server space with much about it. I have had the chance today to go out and survey the damage.

The floor will definitely have to come up. The stringers are actually molded into the hull of the boat so they are fine. I started ripping it up today after my foot found it\'s way through. I also went and ordered the fiberglass cloth and tape from eBay today and the 3/4\" marine grade plywood from Ace hardware in town. No-one in town has any polyester or epoxy resin however. I will make a few calls to Destin/Ft. Walton Beach and see if I can come up with any, otherwise the next time I go to Eufaula I will pick some up there.

The electrical is hit or miss, I will probably go ahead and rewire all of the instruments while I am at it this time rather than wait until afterward. I definitely will be looking at a new dash configuration.

The cuddy cabin is perfect as it is, the most I do in there is add a few more lights, radio controls, and maybe a small TV/VCR/DVD combo. It does need a new hatch glass however.

The engine.......well it is an OMC Ford 460 V8. All of the pieces are there but not necessarily attached. That\'s good and bad. I planned on taking it apart, sandblasting it to rid it of any rust deposits, repainting it gloss black, and putting it all back together. Well the cast iron pieces I have started to take off and will send them of to be blasted here in town. The block and heads I don\'t know what to do with it. I don\'t know when it was last ran, if it is rebuild-able or not, or anything history wise. I might just get the cherry picker and snatch it out and let my brother in law take a look at it and see if it is worth rebuilding. If not I will recycle what I can, part out the rest, and look for a replacement on eBay.

So with all of that said, I will be busy for the next few months trying to make something out of this project boat. I have come up with a layout/floor-plan that will provide minimum seating space and optimum fishing space. Basically two captains chairs, a doghouse for the engine, a live and bait well, and a cooler chair. Here\'s a few before pictures.

Edited By user7483 on 1152042562
Attempting to give a damn..... Unable to give a damn... Stopping... Process failed... Damn not given!!!

Anonymous

I\'d call that a steal!

user7483

• +1/-0
    • View Profile
Hey Chops,

I am beginning to regret buying this boat. I am 90% finished ripping the floor out and it\'s what is up under the floor that is frightening. I have a 92 gallon gas tank down there!!! Let\'s see, that equates to about $275.00 to fill it up at todays prices and they are just going up by the day. By the time I am finish I will have this nice vessel that I can\'t afford to operate.

Other than that everything is going well. Floor came up easily due to the extensive advanced rot but the stringers are rock solid surprisingly. My wife is bringing the resin from Eufaula so hopefully by Monday I will be ready to start fastening the new wood to the deck.

Catch you all later.

Dione

Chopstix

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
LOL ...  yessir, that is definitely the hazard of owning a larger boat.  The way I look at it?  What the heck do we work so hard for?  If I didn\'t spend the money being out on the lake doing something I love, I\'d be spending it somewhere else like the golf course.  Gotta admit though I don\'t play much golf the past few years, just can\'t afford both hobbies.

B  O  A  T
r   u   n  h
e   t   o  o
a       t   u
k       h   s
          e  a
          r   n
              d

:D    :p     :D

Honestly what I did this year?  As I am sure you notice, credit card companies are hammering people with card offers. So in the spring I took a new Chase card that has 0% interest until July of 2007.  I told them to keep the credit limit at $3,000.00 ....  I pay about 100 - two per month on it and the card is my boat expenditures for the season.  If I limit out I am done  {for the most part ... lol ...}.  Then over the winter I will pay it off and it is interest free.  Problem is that I had some costs on repairs this year on top of gas but hey....  that way I don\'t over do it.

Looks like I am gonna have to replace one of my heat exchangers.  Am losing coolant.  Got it stopped up today with the copper powder stop leak so am hoping it will hold up for the rest of the season.  A used one will cost about 350 - 400 and a new one is upwards of 800 bones.
\'85 MT Costa Brava 250. 25\' Cruiser (27\' OAL). Twin Merc 488\'s & Alpha Ones.  \"Sea~Renity\"

user7483

• +1/-0
    • View Profile
Chops, you are a finangial genius. And to think, I am a financial counselor! I usually throw those things in the garbage without even opening them. I will discuss that with my wife as being a means to not only operate the boat but to also use for the restoration. Like you said, after say $5000.00 I cap out and then spend the next year repaying it at 0% - 2.5% interest. Not a bad idea.     :cool:

Chopstix

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
Hey .... if they wanna lend me free $$ who am I to say no? lol ...
\'85 MT Costa Brava 250. 25\' Cruiser (27\' OAL). Twin Merc 488\'s & Alpha Ones.  \"Sea~Renity\"

user7483

• +1/-0
    • View Profile
Here you go Chops......I think I will get one of those credit cards for sure. I was surprised to see that there was no foam under the floor. I doubt if I put any in either. It would take a small fortune to fill those cavities with foam. I was wondering if the ride will be noisier without the foam though. Any thoughts on that aspect guys? I am going to put down padding under the carpet to make it easier on the feet to walk on so that may deaden the ride noise some. I\'m also going to pline the new doghouse I construct with a noise/heatshield to help soften the engine noise. As soon as I get the last piece of wood up by the engine I am going to pull the gas and water tanks out and clean thier insides out.

lilsinker

• +1/-0
    • View Profile
Just think how that baby will ride with almost 900lbs of fuel in her belly! Caddy. That should be smoooth! Should have a decent range also....... And the trim won\'t change as the fuel level drops. There\'s more wood in that floor than some houses that I\'ve seen! I know you\'re having fun! :p
I said, GIVE ME THE ROPE!
Think you\'re \'Twain is fast?
Bring it ON!!

russman

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
user

i wouldnt fill the bottom with foam either.

i dont think you will hear any noise..not over that sucking sound coming from the 460 Inhaleing Fuel!!

but seriously the large fuel tank will be a peace of mind when your out in the middle of the Gulf with No land in site.
you dont have to fill it up all the way, 50 gallons will take ya a long way.
i would defenently invest in a good radio and a membership to Sea Tow for even more of a peace of mind.

a well tuned Big Block has surpriseing gas milage if you keep your Hand or foot out of it.

if your engine has to be replaced i wonder how a 350ci  would push a boat that size with a good power prop?

good luck

:D

user7483

• +1/-0
    • View Profile
Okay, this is going to be a dumb question for all of you gearheads out there but I\'m not an engine kinda guy. \"How exactly do you turn the engine by hand?\" I checked the crankcase and it is bone dry. Put 2 qts of 40 weight in, removed the spark plugs and put a few drops of penetrating oil into each hole. So what do I do now. I decided to try to start this engine before discarding it completely. It probably hasn\'t been run in at least 4 years.

Haulnazz15

• +4/-0
    • View Profile
only 2 quarts?  seems like you\'d prolly need 6 quarts to fill up an oil change on a 460.  We usually spray WD-40 in the plug holes for about 2-3 seconds each (just be careful not to drop the straw down the hole!!)
1976 200V BR, 351/265+hp  \"Heart & Soul\"