Replacing Floor

• 82 Replies

The Billiken Rebel

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
Replacing Floor
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2004, 08:46:53 PM »
THAT FOAM!!!! Still having nightmares. You aren\'t going to like this but, I pulled it all out, Yes all that WET, STINKING, HARD TO GET TO MESS. I reached in there and measured as far as I could reach (guesstimation mostly). Of course I didn\'t have as big of a problem as you do. My floor was pretty sound up front. I cut them as long as I could and still get them into that space. Then I pulled them back out, Liquid nailed the heck out of them, them bolted them together as far back as I could reach and drill (wasn\'t easy). I guess I went back about a foot from the edge of the floor. I\'m hoping the liguid nail holds it mostly. I epoxied as much as I could reach in also. That\'s why I used Cedar and also 3 boards (more to rot I guess). But it should drain now also, unlike before. As far as prying up that floor to get the new boards in there? Geez, I don\'t know. You really don\'t want to pry from the bottom of the boat for obvious reasons. Man, I don\'t know? I\'d have to see it I guess. If you were close to St. Louis I\'d be happy to assist.

Sorry scotr, I work on her today and forgot the picture  :(  (kicking myself) But basically, it sits on 2x8\'s standing on ends? Not the end of the length though. Kudos to whoever put these puppies in on mine, very secure and sealed.
\"I\'m your Huckleberry\"

akw4572

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
Replacing Floor
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2004, 09:44:46 PM »
the foam HAD to be a factory thing, mine has never been taken up (family boat), and it had the foam as well.  My foam was absoultely water logged.  How did you seal your foam up?  I don\'t know about the stringers, i am thinking of liquid nails, green treated decking wood for them, and I am debating marine plywood for the floor, or regular with the epoxy coating.  The epoxy i found online is $149.95 per two gallons online, and if the marine wood is $100 a sheet i might go that route.  Any thoughts?

The Billiken Rebel

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
Replacing Floor
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2004, 06:23:20 AM »
$149? I got 1 gal for about $22.00 at Home Depot/and Lowes. As far as sealing the foam. I put it in a layer at a time and estimated the expansion. I didn\'t want to have to cut any away. After it dries it kinda coats a slick coating on it which I believe wont absorb the water. I sealed the sections of stringers closed where I put the foam in. So hopefully, no water can get in in the first place.

akw4572

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
Replacing Floor
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2004, 06:43:57 AM »
Quote from: \"The Billiken Rebel\":1g32nxx9
$149? I got 1 gal for about $22.00 at Home Depot/and Lowes. As far as sealing the foam. I put it in a layer at a time and estimated the expansion. I didn\'t want to have to cut any away. After it dries it kinda coats a slick coating on it which I believe wont absorb the water. I sealed the sections of stringers closed where I put the foam in. So hopefully, no water can get in in the first place.

what was the name of that epoxy you used?  I saw mine on a website specifically for boats.  I believe I got the site as a link off this site, something like rot doctor.com/  I will link a post after I get home where I have it bookmarked.

The Billiken Rebel

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
Replacing Floor
« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2004, 01:16:49 PM »
I believe it was Bondo.

Anonymous

Replacing Floor
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2004, 05:31:26 PM »
just a note i ran pvc pipe on the bottom of the foam 3/4\" pipe so that the water would run through the foam and not puddle up in front of it. i\'m takling the motor mount this week i think someone has already tryed something but they oviosly didn\'t do it right. i have 3 1 by\'s screwed together. i\'ll be using 2 bys to replace them.

akw4572

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
Replacing Floor
« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2004, 08:00:14 PM »
Quote from: \"scotr3\":7qi96nkk
just a note i ran pvc pipe on the bottom of the foam 3/4\" pipe so that the water would run through the foam and not puddle up in front of it. i\'m takling the motor mount this week i think someone has already tryed something but they oviosly didn\'t do it right. i have 3 1 by\'s screwed together. i\'ll be using 2 bys to replace them.

forgive my ignorance, but how would PVC pipe help under the foam?

Anonymous

Replacing Floor
« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2004, 07:11:07 PM »
the water didn\'t puddle up in front of the foam it was able to run back through the pipe.

lilsinker

• +1/-0
    • View Profile
Replacing Floor
« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2004, 04:22:01 PM »
This is one I\'m getting ready to do myself on my \'68 18v160. I\'d like to ask just how much fun you had removing the old flooring. I\'ve got a soft spot between the front seats and fingered I\'d just go and do the whole floor.It kills me to have to do this right at the start of the season, but it needs to be done. All the pictures are great. I\'ll try to get some of mine too, as it is a closed bow it might  be somewhat different in layout. Also, there isn\'t a drain hole in my transom! Is my boat a freak? This is the only trailerable boat I\'ve had without one.
I said, GIVE ME THE ROPE!
Think you\'re \'Twain is fast?
Bring it ON!!

The Billiken Rebel

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
Replacing Floor
« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2004, 05:42:51 AM »
No Drain Hole? That does sound bizzare. Just so you know I started off just wanting to replace the carpeting. Had some soft spots and cracks in the flooring. Decided to remove that and found rotted stringers, 5 gals of water, stinky water soaked foam, and problem sections with no outlet for water. I used about 5 1/2 gals. of epoxy, 2 sheets of plywood, 5- 1x8x8 Cedar deck boards, 5- 4\'x6\' fiberglass mesh, 5 small containers of body filler, 5 tubes of liquid nail, 5 cheap paint brushes, 10 cans of expanding foam, and about 4 weekends worth of labor.

I removed the flooring starting in the ski storage hole and prying it up little by little, cutting with a circular saw, jigsaw, and a dremel piece by piece.

Added Advice: Go slow, use common sense and do it right the first time.

Good Luck, Any questions feel free to ask.

Anonymous

Replacing Floor
« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2004, 04:27:13 PM »
Well i tryed to post a pic of my current delima but it wont let me. I fired up the boat yesterday and the front motor mount colapsed the rest of the way through the floor. it was a B#@&% ! trying to ghet back in and on the trailer w/ no motor. I\'m gonna replace it with a doubled up two by. Any problems you guys see with that? i probably shouldn\'t have run it but i had to get something in my dock or i\'m gonna loose it.

lilsinker

• +1/-0
    • View Profile
Replacing Floor
« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2004, 08:48:50 AM »
What a drag! Lifting the motor back up should be fun. Using good hard pressed straight grained 2by\'s sistered together should do. You might want to assemble the pieces together and check for fit, drill the holes then epoxy the crap out of it,especially the inside of the holes. The best of luck. Oh, and next time put about 40\' of line on your trailer winch. Hyuk.
I said, GIVE ME THE ROPE!
Think you\'re \'Twain is fast?
Bring it ON!!

irishtomp

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
Replacing Floor
« Reply #42 on: May 22, 2004, 09:06:32 PM »
Looks like I\'m newest member of floor replacement club. My project is on a 88 Vsonic 17\" bowrider I\\O. What I\'m finding is that there dosn\'t seem to be solid wood floor under fiber cloth. In some spots there is over 1 1\\2 of resin and cloth in some spots poured right over the foam. It appears that my floor was just layed over the foam, and cloth and resin used to fill in low spots. Anyone else encounter this. Having devil of time trying to cut along side stringers. Can\'t really tell where they are under all the resin and cloth. Any advise or help? Thanks

akw4572

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
Replacing Floor
« Reply #43 on: May 22, 2004, 11:08:09 PM »
Quote from: \"irishtomp\":uzdn2urd
Looks like I\'m newest member of floor replacement club. My project is on a 88 Vsonic 17\" bowrider I\\O. What I\'m finding is that there dosn\'t seem to be solid wood floor under fiber cloth. In some spots there is over 1 1\\2 of resin and cloth in some spots poured right over the foam. It appears that my floor was just layed over the foam, and cloth and resin used to fill in low spots. Anyone else encounter this. Having devil of time trying to cut along side stringers. Can\'t really tell where they are under all the resin and cloth. Any advise or help? Thanks

If you\'re going to replace part, i\'d just replace the whole thing.  You probably will have to eventually anyways.

jack22182

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
Replacing Floor
« Reply #44 on: May 24, 2004, 11:40:19 PM »
Billiken Rebel,

I just bought a 1975 180V bowrider in decent condition but the floor needs to be replaced. There are some very soft spots and the seats are loose. When I tried to anchor the driver\'s seat with toggle bolts the toggles pulled right through the floor, leaving big holes.

I\'m following your progress with great interest and I have a couple of questions.

What will I see when I pull up the carpet? In your pictures it looks like the stock floor is fiberglassed plywood or particle board.

How is the stock floor attached to the hull? What is the best way to remove it?

Can the old floor be removed in one piece and used as a template for cutting out the new floor, or does it get destroyed during the removal process?

It seems that you have completely sealed the new plywood with epoxy to make it waterproof, is this what you did? Is the plywood sealed all the way around the hull?

Thanks for all the pics, they are very helpful.