Replacing Floor

• 82 Replies

Anonymous

Replacing Floor
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2004, 08:19:59 AM »
Rebel...about the floor...I need to replace the stringers on my 1979...need to find out how to fix the drop in the middle that does not allow the middle window to shut properly...thanks..

The Billiken Rebel

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
Replacing Floor
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2004, 12:37:35 PM »
Not sure what you mean by middle window shutting?
I will be posting more pics soon.
\"I\'m your Huckleberry\"

Anonymous

Replacing Floor
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2004, 03:21:13 PM »
I have a split windshield...the center window will not close properly...it overlaps...this is due to the center of the boat sagging which I think is allowing both sides to tilt downward or inward toward the center of the boat...when the flooring is put in...how far forward does it go past the fwd bulkhead....
hope this makes sense...if not I will wait for your pics....thanks

Anonymous

Replacing Floor
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2004, 04:49:57 PM »
Ok i have a question also. The Front motor mount on my \'76 bowrider has fallen threw the floor what can i do and is it safe to run this way? i dont plan on sking or running it hard i just have to have it in my slip by a certain date or I\'ll lose it.

The Billiken Rebel

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
Replacing Floor
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2004, 10:11:32 PM »
Updated pic

The Billiken Rebel

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
Replacing Floor
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2004, 10:27:17 PM »
Close up of Bow beam.

The Billiken Rebel

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
Replacing Floor
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2004, 10:43:03 PM »
After I removed the plywood I found about 5 gals of water in the bow of the boat. Whoever replaced the floor in the past did not leave any opening for water to get out. I resolved that by drilling two holes in the ski storage area (see shadowed area). I also reinforced the bow beam (a 1\" board) with 3 more cedar boards that I bolted and liquid nailed together. Later I sealed the entire beam with epoxy.

The Billiken Rebel

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
Replacing Floor
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2004, 10:59:38 PM »
Here is a full pic. I decided to fill-in the side sections with the expanding foam. I sealed these areas so NO (praying) water can get in. The center sections are open all the way back to the bilge pump under the motor. Last Saturday I cut out the plywood. Installed it for proper fit. Removed and applied one thick coat of epoxy to the bottom and ends. Let dry. Placed back in boat. Laid figerglass mesh over the seams and applied epoxy. Let dry. Applied another layer of mesh wider than before to the seams and applied another coat of epoxy. Let dry for 24 hours. and laid the carpet on Monday.

Anonymous

Replacing Floor
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2004, 08:37:35 AM »
Thanks for the pics...those help alot...the one of the close up of the bow beam is the one that I was referring to...that is the one that has dropped the center of my boat....your pics are of great benefit...thanks again

Anonymous

Replacing Floor
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2004, 08:29:32 PM »
how is your motor supported in the front? is there a mount and what did it mount to? if there was do you have a picture?

Anonymous

Replacing Floor
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2004, 02:02:24 PM »
Billiken Rebel...I have torn up the deck and to my amazement  I found the spots of foam that you were referring to...must be a factory thing...anyway when you replaced the deck flooring...what did you use...the foam was also blocking the drains and not allowing the water to drain...I found a rotted mess...what were the size of your stringers?....mine are 1\"thick and 7 and one half and taper to 7\" in the last 30\"...finally when you put the deck back in...how did you replace it...I am not sure how it should be put back in...any ideas...thanks...

The Billiken Rebel

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
Replacing Floor
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2004, 05:42:19 PM »
Hard to believe that the manufactuer would have shot that foam in there, But I guess you never know. My stringers were that size also. I actually used cedar decking boards as replacements. Not sure if this was proper or not but my common sense said go for it. Besides I know for sure that it\'s sealed with epoxy really good. I used wolmanized (?) grenn treated plywood 1/2 inch thick for the floor. Again not sure if this was right or not. I couldn\'t bring myself to pay $100.00 a sheet for Marine grade plywood. I\'m a cheap A$$ I guess. But there again I sealed it really well. As soon as time and weather allows I\'ll get that pic of how my motor mounts.

The Billiken Rebel

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
Replacing Floor
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2004, 05:44:12 PM »
Different angle

Anonymous

Replacing Floor
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2004, 07:05:47 AM »
Looks good...and looks nice and water tight....I have one more quick question that I am having problems with...it is with the bow...the support that you placed in the middle of the walk way..how did you get it up and under the floor of the bow...I have reached up under there and there is more foam and floor decking that is wet and rotted...I am not sure how to get the flooring shored up in the middle....unless just guessing at the lenght of the shoring....what do you think...really appreciate all the help you have given....thanks again

Anonymous

Replacing Floor
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2004, 11:08:51 AM »
thanks for the effort on the pics. its much appreciated. i look forward to seeing more