Twain trouble already...

• 0 Replies

Clint

• Administrator
  • +0/-0
    • View Profile
Twain trouble already...
« on: August 31, 2004, 03:04:02 PM »
Okay...so I took the new Twain out and she was runnning great. We plained and were coming up on 50 mph when I get skeered and slowed down.

So anyways....after about an hour, we stopped to switch skiers, when I restarted the boat...it would die every time I tried to go.  It would idle fine and would do a nuetral rev no problem...but everytime the lower unit engaged it would die.

I popped the cover and upped the idle speed and we made actually moved a little bit, but it died again.  Then the battery was toast...and we got towed in.  AHHH OLD BOATS!!  :)

Anyhew...any suggestions? I am gonna do a tune up, fuel filter, and try to clean the carb. Might this be a lower unit problem? I did notice that I took on a little water, It is either a bad plug or transom seal. Could that water have messed with the lower unit?

Clint

P.S.  I know I have not uploaded pics yet...so here is one.  The guy on the bow is one of my buds.
My Twain\'s bigger than yours!

dnh1959

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
Twain trouble already...
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2004, 03:27:35 PM »
Clint,
Sounds like my first time out on Lake Conroe!!!  Of course my Twain is a 2 Stroke outboard.  My problem was fouled plugs.  Ughhhh!  Anyway, looks like a nice boat.  I have no idea as to what your problem is as I am not a mechanic.  Good luck and hope you get it figured out in a hurry.  Is this photo taken on Conroe?

Later
Danny

Clint

• Administrator
  • +0/-0
    • View Profile
Twain trouble already...
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2004, 03:37:11 PM »
Yeah...we launched at Lake View Marina.

I want to try to get her fixed for labor day weekend. We\'ll see.

Clint

lilsinker

• +1/-0
    • View Profile
Twain trouble already...
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2004, 05:06:50 PM »
Is\'nt there a nuetral safety switch somewhere in the circuit? think that could be it? you said it would idle IN gear? ???
I said, GIVE ME THE ROPE!
Think you\'re \'Twain is fast?
Bring it ON!!

Clint

• Administrator
  • +0/-0
    • View Profile
Twain trouble already...
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2004, 05:58:08 PM »
I think the switch you are referring to is called a spark interupt switch.  I just read something about it.  Anyone had to adjust one?

98-1089160674

Twain trouble already...
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2004, 06:29:41 PM »
Nice Boat dude... that is a common problem with that boat. I know because I have the same one. When you shift into gear, there is a switch that very quickly \"kills the engine\" so to speak, to let the gears engage a little better, or slower or what ever you want to call it. But actually the spark to the engine is very quickly stopped to let it go in gear. This really isn\'t a big deal. I replaced the entire switch rather than spend the $$$$$$$$ on a marine mechanic. They, as you know are expensive. Good luck!!

Clint

• Administrator
  • +0/-0
    • View Profile
Twain trouble already...
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2004, 06:59:45 PM »
Bruce....is it an adjustment problem...or most likely that the switch is bad?

Where would i get that switch?

Clint

Edited By Clint on 1093996869

Anonymous

Twain trouble already...
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2004, 08:10:00 PM »
Clint,
   My understanding is that the switch actually kills the engine momentarily when taking it OUT of gear so that the gears can disengage.  If that didn\'t happen, the pressure on the gear teeth would prevent them from disengaging.  Mercury\'s fix was to very quickly and momentarily kill the engine just at the point where the throttle is pulled back to idle and the gears are supposed to shift into neutral.  There are some good \"how-to adjust\" writeups on www.sterndrives.com and the website for aftermarket marine in Louisiana.  Check them out for shift cable adjustment and problem identification.  

I know too that the dying problem can come from a shift cable that is corroded, sticking, kinked, etc. as this puts too much tension on the cable when you move it, and this tension is what trips the kill switch.  If you have water getting in the boat maybe you have a shift cable boot leak and its allowing water to the cable end and hence corrosion or something.

Steve

Clint

• Administrator
  • +0/-0
    • View Profile
Twain trouble already...
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2004, 09:05:31 PM »
Cool...i will check out that site.

The cable does not seem to be sticking....in fact...when doing a nuetral rev, it seems to move to easy...or is that a seperate cable?

Clint

• Administrator
  • +0/-0
    • View Profile
Twain trouble already...
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2004, 09:36:32 PM »
Wow...this does not look fun...has anyone done this before?

Shift cable replacement.

http://www.sterndrives.com/supplies/mdtips02.html

Are those tools neccessary? Should I take it to a shop...i feel like I will spend $$$ either way.   :(

Anonymous

Twain trouble already...
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2004, 11:11:27 PM »
There is only one shift cable for forward and reverse.  It isn\'t too bad to change if you folllow the directions.  I\'d try just adjusting your cable first, and maybe the other stuff you mentioned too (clean carb, check ignition system, etc.).  

I bought a new cable for my boat, but haven\'t installed it yet as I\'m still rebuilding the upper unit of the sterndrive.  Looks OK as long as you\'re careful and don\'t skip any steps.  A Merc mechanic will charge you $75 or more/hour, and probably over $100 for a cable.  I\'d eliminate other possibilities first though.  You know you have to take off the sterdrive to replace the cable don\'t you?  I\'ve learned alot from restoring my Twain.  

1) Boat engines are NOT exactly like car engines.
2) You slap \"marine grade\" on a part and you might as well accept you\'ll pay 2 to 3 times what you think it\'s worth.
3) Mercury sure is proud of their stuff (aftermarket parts are much cheaper).  By the way, there\'s a guy in Detroit that has a aftermarket parts website that\'s very good (www.mercstuff.com).  He has repair tips too.  
4) You can\'t read enough material before attempting a repair.  Most manuals and other instructions are vague.  You have to piece the procedure togther from several sources to get all the nuances.  
5) Some things ARE better left to the certified technicians.  You\'ll buy $1000+ in tools to rebuild a lower drive unit (plus another $400 to $500 in parts).  The techs have the tools and know how.  Only do the things yourself that don\'t require all those specialized Mercury ($$$$$$$$) tools.

Clint

• Administrator
  • +0/-0
    • View Profile
Twain trouble already...
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2004, 11:21:05 PM »
Yeah... I think I will try the cable adjustment first...

with that in mind...do I have to pull apart the entire side interior panel to get to the throttle assembly...or is there some hidden screw i am not seeing?

Clint

98-1089160674

Twain trouble already...
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2004, 06:45:16 AM »
Clint, not sure if it adjusts or not. I just bought a new switch and it took care of the problem. Also, if you were hammering the boat pretty heavy, could it be she was running a little too hot. I have seen that before too. Especially when you stop and there is no water being pumped.... temps can rise very fast. Anyway, just a thought. You can get the switch at any merc dealer. And Oh, by the way, that is an awesome looking boat. I feel it was their best design EVER! And Mark Twain probably thinks so too because they used it for many many years without changing the waterline!!! Good luck and let us know how you come out. Bruce.

The Billiken Rebel

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
Twain trouble already...
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2004, 10:13:43 AM »
Clint, Earlier this year that happen to me. Everytime I would go in forward it would die. However, Reverse did work. Ahhhh! I remember that embarrassing spring day going round and round in reverse in front of the boat ramp. So does your reverse work? If it does it is most likely your shift cable. I had mine done at the marina and it cost $250-285 parts and labor. There are certain tricks that help alot doing it. Such as feeding the cable through and adjusting. Personally, if it were me again I would still have the experts do it. I watched the mechanics do 75% of the job. Anyway good luck.
\"I\'m your Huckleberry\"

russman

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
Twain trouble already...
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2004, 10:27:50 AM »
clint

i replaced my shift cable (76 180 br 302 v8) in an atempt to fix my shifting problem.
the cable was already updated to the new style so i did not have to re tap the threads for the new shift cable.
on the www.mercstuff site there is (what i believe) an easier to follow set of instructions.
it was not to hard.
as for removeing your side panel you should not have to do anything up there all the adjustments are back by the motor.

f.y.i
the cable did not fix my problem. i still cant get the drive to  go into foward and reverse at one setting. i have been told it is probably the spool in the lower unit that is worm out.

so out of the two choises i had #1 foward #2 reverse i have chose foward and neutral as the gear setting for the season this year until i have a local shop fix it this winter.

boat runs great! water is getting cold already here in Kansas!
but archery deer season starts next month, ya hoo!

good luck

also a mechanic told me what BOAT stands for..

Break
Out
Another
Thousand!

russman