Replacing Floor

• 82 Replies

The Billiken Rebel

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
Replacing Floor
« on: April 04, 2004, 06:07:11 PM »
Hello All,

I ripped up my old floor today on my 1978, 16\' V-Sonic. I have some rotted out stringers and also had some spots were they sprayed in some of that expanding foam. I was wondering if this was original (I think not). I removed all of it because of it being wet and plan on replacing it. I\'m wondering if I can fill-in ALL the areas, minus the spot for skis/storage and the spot under the engine of course. Any ideas? I\'m thinking this would make the bottom more solid. Would that be a bad thing?
One more thing MAN! Fiberglass is hard to cut.
Thanks in advance for the help.
\"I\'m your Huckleberry\"

The Billiken Rebel

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
Replacing Floor
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2004, 07:41:14 AM »
Gee, No advice?

Clint

• Administrator
  • +0/-0
    • View Profile
Replacing Floor
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2004, 02:50:48 PM »
When you say \"fill in all the areas\"...what exactly did you have in mind?
My Twain\'s bigger than yours!

The Billiken Rebel

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
Replacing Floor
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2004, 09:54:45 PM »
Spray the expanding foam between the stringers from the inside hull to the bottom of the floor board. Basically filling the space between the hull and floor board. There were already some spots like this but just in spots. I already removed all that. It appears that whoever did this before drilled 1\" hole in the floor and filled the space. I removed it because it was moldy.
Thanks

twtchy3

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
Replacing Floor
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2004, 08:59:04 AM »
I\'m no expert but if i\'m not mistaken under your floorboard would be your bilge no? If so that foam would turn into a moldy sponge. If it\'s not the bilge i would think it would help with bouancy. Thats my 2 cents for what it\'s worth.
 ???
What the hell did I get myself into!

gwidion

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
Replacing Floor
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2004, 10:29:16 AM »
In a fiberglass repair/rebuild book I have, they talk of putting in sealed or wrapped foam blocks between the floor support beams.  This allows the passage of water out of the inner hull around the foam blocks without any absorbtion.  Although the book is primarily  about outboards, I assume the same would apply.
Just lookin\' to reclaim a piece of my childhood!

The Billiken Rebel

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
Replacing Floor
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2004, 07:41:57 AM »
Here is a pic of the stringers. The whiter spots is where the foam was sprayed in.

The Billiken Rebel

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
Replacing Floor
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2004, 07:44:04 AM »
Another shot

The Billiken Rebel

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
Replacing Floor
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2004, 07:46:05 AM »
One more for Fiberglass Digest.

1965MT

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
Replacing Floor
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2004, 12:50:50 PM »
You can fill in every cubic inch with foam. The new foam doesn\'t absorb water too bad. Regarding flotation, the more the merrier.

robinson94998

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
Replacing Floor
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2004, 02:06:09 PM »
Billken, looks like quite a project for a guy like me who has trouble driving a nail straight.  I have a \'77 180V that needs the same thing done to it, I\'m sure because I can feel a lot of \"give\" towards the back seat, plus it was stored with a lot of water in it for four or five years.

If you run across any \"tricks\", please let me know, other than that good luck on your project, I\'ll be pulling for you.

Robinson94998

The Billiken Rebel

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
Replacing Floor
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2004, 04:29:49 PM »
Well I got about 20 hours off & on in the new floor. I spliced in or replaced some of the stringers. Apparently this has been done before, maybe even several times. It seems that the old stringers were made of three different kinds of wood. Some 3/4\" plywood, some pine, some cedar. I think the ceder was the original. I replaced mine with cedar. I plan on filling all the outside sections with the foam (as full as can be). I Believe the downfall for the old floor was. Past owners drilled in 1\" holes in the floor and filled the hole with the foam trapping the water that was already there in. Also he didn\'t treat the plywood around the whole allowing rot to set in. Plus the seats were screwed down once, twice, ??? times causing more holes. (I don\'t plan on screwing down my seats after I replace this. Is this a bad thing? I like the luxury of being able to move them around to clean everything.) Anyway, I have the new boards in and am now using body filler to fill in the holes, gaps, etc.. Next I am going to epoxy w/mesh the under frame and stringers. Then undercoat the new plywood (The green treated plywood) nailing it down and epoxying the top w/mesh, extra on the seams and edges. Painting the floor with White primer? (maybe What do you think?) So that\'s were I am time allowing. I\'ll keep you all posted. If anyone wants more pictures just ask.

CSCARDS

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
Replacing Floor
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2004, 02:02:43 PM »
I\'D LOVE TO SEE AS MANY PICS OF THE PROCESS AS YOU HAVE.  I am depating on redoing the floor in my 77 180t or parting it all out.

akw4572

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
Replacing Floor
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2004, 07:31:11 PM »
Quote from: \"The Billiken Rebel\":2ggenxef
Well I got about 20 hours off & on in the new floor. I spliced in or replaced some of the stringers. Apparently this has been done before, maybe even several times. It seems that the old stringers were made of three different kinds of wood. Some 3/4\" plywood, some pine, some cedar. I think the ceder was the original. I replaced mine with cedar. I plan on filling all the outside sections with the foam (as full as can be). I Believe the downfall for the old floor was. Past owners drilled in 1\" holes in the floor and filled the hole with the foam trapping the water that was already there in. Also he didn\'t treat the plywood around the whole allowing rot to set in. Plus the seats were screwed down once, twice, ??? times causing more holes. (I don\'t plan on screwing down my seats after I replace this. Is this a bad thing? I like the luxury of being able to move them around to clean everything.) Anyway, I have the new boards in and am now using body filler to fill in the holes, gaps, etc.. Next I am going to epoxy w/mesh the under frame and stringers. Then undercoat the new plywood (The green treated plywood) nailing it down and epoxying the top w/mesh, extra on the seams and edges. Painting the floor with White primer? (maybe What do you think?) So that\'s were I am time allowing. I\'ll keep you all posted. If anyone wants more pictures just ask.

I am getting ready to do the exact same thing.  How are you attaching the floor to the stringers?  Epoxy?  I have a 78 twain 18\' v sonic.

The Billiken Rebel

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
Replacing Floor
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2004, 09:02:58 PM »
I haven\'t gotten that far yet. Rain, rain go AWAY!
I planned on air-nailing it down with 2\" nails. Any objections? Then again I thought about liguid nailing it down, and then again maybe wood screws? Whatever I use I\'ll be epoxying over the holes to seal them. I\'m open to ideas....

Also, I purchased a digital Camara so be looking for lots of pics to follow.