Molds, Repair and Parts - Question on molds, new builds or repair

• 0 Replies

Anonymous

Back in the late 80\'s, when I guess MTB was going under, a friend of a friend contacted our company and stated they had some molds to sell us. We bought them, each had a protective skin coat on them. We put them in storage, and since have done nothing with them. We recently pulled them out, looked at the tags and have 3-4 complete sets with Hull, Incerts and Tops. We also have 24 years of fiberglass manufacturing experience. We were wondering if we should start building these boats, or repair old ones, or simply sell the molds? Does anyone have some advice on what we could do with these molds? [email:16rbua2z]jimfredrickson@earthlink.net[/email:16rbua2z]

Anonymous

« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2006, 08:26:58 AM »
Mark Twain molds?? Hmm, what size, model? I\'m thinking that there are a few of us that would like to see them return to production.
Depending where you are located, might even entertain working on them.
Sam

Anonymous

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2006, 08:49:45 AM »
The molds are 2 miles from Savannah, Tn. which is right on the Tennessee River. We have a 16 foot hull with the in or outboard tops. There is a 21 ft hull with inserts and tops. There is a 25 foot with 2 different tops; there is another that we are not sure yet what it is.
Most of the molds have metal plates with part numbers stamped on them. We have no brochure for them and are not sure the year of the molds. We are still discussing what we are going to do with them.
We have someone local who says he might invest in it, but he needs more details then just a bunch of molds. So if you have a better idea what \"163 part number or 210 part number\" means, feel free to fill us in. We figure it is the length!(Thats what we get when we measure it!!!) Also, if anyone has some pictures of what these molds produce(boats) it would help us, or back in the day what did a 25 foot cabin sell for? What kind of things would you like to see change? Do you guys(the owners of them now) would it be better to bulk produce, or special order builds?

Help us out!!!
Thanks.

Anonymous

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2006, 09:57:31 AM »
Sounds like a good idea to reproduce and supply repair parts even if it is for custom builds...these boats have withstood the test of time and have proven to be one of the best if not the best on the water...do you have pics of the molds, inserts and tops...I think that would help identify which models along with the numbers on the plates...but it does sound like a good plan...hope to hear what others think also...

grh56

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2006, 04:06:53 PM »
I own a 1985 210SF which is 21ft. in length. Hope this helps some.

Anonymous

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2006, 12:20:42 PM »
grh56,
Do you have a picture of your boat? That would be a huge help. The issue we have right now is what do these boats molds look like if we put them in production? Right now we have someone who is somewhat interested in investing in production, but they don\'t want to invest in something they have no clue what it looks like.
Here is literally all the info and part numbers I have:
1-XL Deck 250 Part # 748
2 Top Decks 25 foot
21 Foot
210 V Hull
# B44 (492912-1JJ2) VulCraft
210 Liner (20 Foot) #835
2 Molds- 210 Deck In/Out #761
2-16 foot Hulls
1- 163 TD Part # 830 Top
1- 163 DT Part #834 Top
1-30 Foot Deep Hull
1-Right and Left Subdecks
1-Engine cover Mold

I can upload some pictures in the morning. If anyone has pictures of these size or part numbered boats; any old brochures for these boats, can me a picture of the brochure and send me pictures of these. This would be a HUGE help.
[email:2tvbewr8]jimfredrickson@earthlink.net[/email:2tvbewr8]

grh56

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2006, 01:55:53 PM »
My boat is pictured in the BOAT GALLERY on August 18th 2005, it\'s the one titled 1985 V-Sonic 210SF. I would love to have another boat just like this one. It runs fantastic , handles 5-7ft. waves great. I use it on Lake Ontario, not far from the Thousand Islands, N.Y. This boat has a 5.0 ltr. engine under the hood, and is very simple to work on. I do have the sales catalog for that year also.

Anonymous

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2006, 10:57:29 PM »
Are the mold for the older style with the rounded bow? If so I know of several people who would be interested in new boats