Boat Wax - Cleaning supplies

• 50 Replies

Anonymous

« on: August 12, 2005, 01:28:34 PM »
I was just wondering, what kind of boat cleaners and waxes does everyone use.  My boat is very dull looking, and I would love to shine it up.  Let me know what kind of boat cleaning products you all use and any other tips that you may have.  I have seen some of the resto pics on here and some of you have really got the boats shining.  I hope to do the same.  Thanks.

Anonymous

« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2005, 08:19:52 PM »
Hello there.
Its a long story but it suffices to say that when I got the old MT last year it looked so bad I was only out for the trailer it came on. You should, and I hope you will, see her now. Had to wash her down with bleach and water first to get rid of all the crud and then I used 3M\'s Marine Fiberglass Cleaner and Wax.
Apply in sections and buff using a mitt on the electric drill. Amazing! It takes out the discoloration and the variations in the color due, I suppose, to the exposure to sun.
This showed me the diamond in the rough. She is a beauty.
Try it, I\'m sure you will not be dissapointed. If anyone knows of something better then tell me.      :cool:

grh56

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2005, 06:34:27 AM »
If you want a quick shine and lasts for 2-3 months and is easy, try used motor oil. I\'m not kidding you at all, it works!!!
Also Armorall vinyl protector works. I used the oil on my boat and it brought it back to factory color. All you do is wipe it on and wipe it off, real easy and cheap. I had spent hours and big bucks on waxes, rubbing compound, and polishes and they didn\'t work. Give it a try.

Racindude45

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2005, 08:39:24 AM »
I\'m not to sure I want used motor oil coming off of someones boat into the lake anyway. Can you imagine if everyone put used motor oil on their boat what it would do to our lakes?
\" Dream as if you\'ll live forever. Live as if you\'ll die tomorrow. \" ~ James Dean

Anonymous

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2005, 11:46:46 AM »
Thanks for the tips guys.  I agree, I don\'t think that I will try the motor oil.  I am no tree hugger but I don\'t want to dump oil in the lakes either.  I will take some before and after pics.  I haven\'t been able to post any of my pics yet, they are all to big.

98-1089160674

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2005, 09:35:11 AM »
THe resins and gel coat are ALL oil based chemicals. To wipe your boat with used motor oil will not hurt a thing. Just be sure to wipe it all off. It will leave a shine just as a wax will do. You won\'t be harming the lake or your boat. As a matter of fact, you could use mineral oil, or marvels mystery oil etc. it will do the same thing.

Chopstix

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2005, 02:58:10 PM »
Sheesh !!!  I almost feel bad for originally posting the oil thing !!! lol ....   when I first used it I was amazed at how well it works.  I used it on the sides of my boat and it came out terrific.  Both the white and the burgundy.  No dis-coloration at all.  Then later in the season I re-did the burgundy stripe and some got on the white up above and yes, that did dis-color slightyly. The flat surfaces that are exposed to the sun more have obviously become more \'porous\'.

As far as having it come off into the lake? pffft ....   the exhaust from a 2 stroke outboard will lay down 100 times more oil into the water than the little bit of residue that might not get wiped off the hull of the boat.  I am not enough of a tree hugger to be concerned with such a negligible amount.
\'85 MT Costa Brava 250. 25\' Cruiser (27\' OAL). Twin Merc 488\'s & Alpha Ones.  \"Sea~Renity\"

98-1089160674

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2005, 03:07:46 PM »
AMEN chopsticks, it has been done for years without any problems. I will admit if the finish on your boat has seen its better days then it might be a good idea not to use it. Any thing like armorall etc will make a temporay shine.

Chopstix

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2005, 03:48:43 PM »
I can respect your opinion there.  I don\'t agree, and think it is a bit of extremism, but I respect it none the less.
\'85 MT Costa Brava 250. 25\' Cruiser (27\' OAL). Twin Merc 488\'s & Alpha Ones.  \"Sea~Renity\"

lilsinker

• +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2005, 04:25:24 PM »
I\'ll have to agree here both ways. The amount of toxicity introduced to the water from the oil on the hull of the boat is negligible, but then after awhile the amount of negligibility will add up. Alot of people use our waterways purely for pleasure, while others either depend on, or like to use them for food. After awhile you begin to wonder just how negligible the toxicity of this fish I\'m feeding my family is. There are some places I wouldn\'t eat a fish out of for money. There are other places I wouldn\'t want to put my boat because of how pristine the water is. I might be an old tree hugging hippie, but I still like to tear up the water with my boat from time to time. I feel that it\'s everyones right to use their own prudence with their actions \'cause we all have to answer to our own demons. besides, aren\'t fish oils like those \"omega 30w fatty acids\" supposed to be good for us?  :D
I said, GIVE ME THE ROPE!
Think you\'re \'Twain is fast?
Bring it ON!!

98-1089160674

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2005, 05:56:25 PM »
Well if you want to get on a soapboax then the pesticides we spray on our food and the hormones we inject into our livestock is probably killing us too. I use biodegradable antifreeze in my boat instead of the green stuff. How many of us do that? It seems to me that regular antifreeze would be more harmful than anything else!!!!!!

Racindude45

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2005, 09:02:40 PM »
user7483 you stated: \"So my question is, if you know it is bad for you and that it is slowly degrading the quality of our resources then why do it no matter how miniscule you may think it is?\"
The answer is simple, the indidvidual who thinks they are the only one on Earth that matters will continue doing things they know hurts others as long as it don\'t hurt them right now. Ya know, these lakes we use supply food for some and water for most of us in the city. If everyone who used those lakes dumped a little oil into the lake, and then invited every from the city to do the same would our water be safe to drink? DON\'T THINK SO! I\'m no tree hugger but I do respect my neighbor and want a nice place my kids can grow up in. If this makes me a tree hugger so be it.
\" Dream as if you\'ll live forever. Live as if you\'ll die tomorrow. \" ~ James Dean

Anonymous

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2005, 09:05:50 PM »
Wow I just wanted to clean my boat and now I started an all out brawl.  Well I agree with 7483 and do not plan on putting oil anywhere on or in my boat that does not have a lid that says motor oil.  Well I have bigger problems now any way.  I think I am going to replace my entire stern drive.  The gimbal ring went on mine and I found one for free but it does not want to come off of there so I think I will just replace the entire thing.  It is going to take a little bit of work and cleaning.  I AM NOT GOING TO ASK HOW TO CLEAN IT OR SOMEONE MIGHT DIE!!!  LOL  But I don\'t know if I will get it all done in time to get back on the water this season.  I will let you know.

Does anyone have any tips for cleaning my car? :laugh: just kidding

Racindude45

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2005, 09:14:36 PM »
That stinks! Just wanting to clean the boat turned into a huge job. Wish I could help in some way but don\'t know what to say, or maybe I just choose my battles.LOL

98-1089160674

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2005, 06:21:27 AM »
I don\'t really think the disscussion was about using motor oil to clean your boat. The real issue is who thinks who is right. Of course I don\'t use oil to clean my boat however, it is NOT going to hurt anything. Most of us that use this web site have alot of years of experience in boating. Some of us do not. I have not seen anyone ask for advice and get misled intentionally. I would say that the Mark Twain people on this web site are the most generous and caring people and are willing to help anyone. So my point is, is it really doesn\'t matter how you clean your boat, if you use some common sense mixed with some good advise you probably are going to be OK!!   Bruce.   ps I was coming home from a business trip I made to Kansas City and there is a marina in Columbia, Mo that has 2-3 Mark Twains on their lot for sale. I saw them as I drove by. The marina is a called Putnam Boat sales if any are interested.

Edited By Clint on 1132206755