Tom Sawyer Founder information

• 2 Replies

Anonymous

« on: January 06, 2004, 07:18:44 PM »
Here is a news article about the death of the founder of Tom Sawyer Boats.

http://www.hannibal.net/stories/011901/obi_0119010024.html

Seems Mr. Cornelius Parker Treat Jr. took over operations of the Family Woodworking business and began Tom Sawyer boats after selling the woodworking company. Perhaps some sleuthing around in Hanibal MO. might turn up what the relationship of the Woodworking company was to Mark Twain Boats. Perhaps there was some relationship that sparked an interest in boat building in Mr. Treat. Thus the often confusion and near identical Hull Structures Between Tom Sawyers and Mark Twains....  :(

thompsonboat

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2009, 07:28:56 AM »
The article link does not work any longer.

I don\'t know the early history of Tom Sawyer Boats. But I do know that their parent firm, Standard Industries of NYC, liquidated Tom Sawyer Boats in late 1973 or early 1974. They had an auction, selling off molds and tooling. Saul Padek of Thompson Boat at Peshtigo, WI purchased some of these molds. A few of the former Tom Sawyer models were integrated into the Thompson Boat line in 1974. Thompson did not buy Tom Sawyer Boats - the compamy, they just bought some of the molds and tooling.

Apparently Standard Industries owned several boat firms incluing Tom Sawyer, Mark Twain, Richline and maybe others.

The 1972 Tom Sawyer Boats brochure lists their plant at Richland, MO with sales office at Lebonon, MO. The 1973 brochure lists only the Richland, MO location.

Tom Sawyer Boats, Inc. was registered with the state of Missouri on 17 August 1966. Their incoporation status was revoked 10 June 1976.

Andreas

wsufinder

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 11:14:47 AM »
Cornelius Treat was my dad\'s dad and he started the tom sawyer company in the sixties.. according to my dad he learned how to build boats from library and built the company from the ground up naming it tom sawyer (probably because of he lived near Hannibal Mo, the birthplace of Mark Twain). He sold the company in the seventies to a group of investors from new york. That\'s all I know. He never had any relations to the mark twain boat company except that it originated in the same area.