The History Mystery - What we know so far....

• 3 Replies

Clint

• Administrator
  • +0/-0
    • View Profile
« on: November 20, 2003, 02:04:00 PM »
The History of Mark Twain Boats seems to be a bit of a mystery. From all the research I have done (granted I am not the most diligent), there is not a lot of information on them.

We know that these boats were produced by Mark Twain Marine Industries, Inc. from some point in the sixties until the company went belly-up in 1990. The companies mailing address was:

Mark Twain Marine, Industrial Park, P.O. Box 276, West Frankfort, ILL 62896.

It seems that most people viewed Mark Twain Boats of a very good quality.

Somewhere in the late 60\'s a group of Mark Twain folks revolted and went out and started Tom Sawyer (original huh?) which supposedly became a part of or the same as Tri Sonic. There are striking similarities between Tri Sonic, Mark Twain, and the Cobalt tri hull designs. The last internal revolution, and the ultimate death of Mark Twain, was a similar rebellion that created Mariah Boats.

Now, I know there has to be much more to the story than this, however, I have no idea of what it is at this time. As this site progresses we will piece together a more complete story.

If you have something to add...feel free.
My Twain\'s bigger than yours!

Clint

• Administrator
  • +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2003, 01:45:09 PM »
I did some internet searching and found that a company called sea sprite boats (now defunct) may have purchased Mark Twain Marine.  They in turn were purchased by United Marine Corporation(UMC).  For the life of me I cannot find an e-mail address or website for UMC.  But they are still in business.  If anyone has anyluck contacting them it would be great.
My Twain\'s bigger than yours!

116-1070151842

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2003, 06:56:01 PM »
I can\'t tell you much now but maybe after I speak with my father I can. He is a dentist and one of his patients was (or is) the owner of the company that was Mark Twain.
    I was just discussing with him about his 1973 twain. It\'s a 20 footer which was a little more rare. It was quite expensive back in the day........but since the guy had bad teeth I think dad got a pretty good deal.
     He has kept it very well maintained and we only use it about 10 days a year. Unfortounately, the mechanic who winterized it this year claims that the transom is about to go. Now dad has had it with repairs since he doesn\'t use it much   .
        I, on the other hand, use it hard one week a year and have no intention of giving up that neat old boat for dead. I am a professional automotive collision repair refinisher and I\'m quite sure that I can repair it. Any info would be a great help
     Has anyone used the SeaCast transom repair stuff??????

115-1058922495

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2003, 11:24:21 PM »
Hi all, i just wanted to let you know that my 1966 18-150 deluxe has the original mark twain spec sticker still in tact and it list the company as being on the corner of 15th and college in new london,mo.i will include a pic as soon as this sight will accept one.any help clint?