75 Mark Twain Restoration - Need Communities Help

• 0 Replies

user7483

• +1/-0
    • View Profile
« on: September 13, 2004, 05:07:18 PM »
I just purchased this MT and trailer off of eBay for $235.00. I am new to boating but always wanted one so I went for it and bought one that I could have a hand in how it looked and felt. I am hopeful that this community will give me the assistance that I will need to complete the resto and get her back in the water where she deserves to be. Take a look at her and then start pouring in with suggestions, tips, hints, and knowledge....
Attempting to give a damn..... Unable to give a damn... Stopping... Process failed... Damn not given!!!

user7483

• +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2004, 05:09:02 PM »
I think that she will be an awesome vessel once I get her completed. The trailer alone I\'m sure is worth more than $235.00 so I guess I\'m ahead already?
Attempting to give a damn..... Unable to give a damn... Stopping... Process failed... Damn not given!!!

user7483

• +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2004, 05:12:53 PM »
This is my area of greatest concern. Knowing nothing about boats I am really hopeful that someone out there will be able to assist me in getting her a power source. I do know that she had a 1970 Ford 302 in her and I was told that she must\'ve had an OMC outdrive. Any help in finding this or similar will be of great assistance and appreciated. I live in Eufaula, AL on Lake Eufaula so I\'m sure I will be able to find something locally but if you fellow Twainers can help I\'d appreciate it.

user7483

• +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2004, 05:16:37 PM »
I am really looking forward to starting the resto on her interior. She has one soft spot on the floor so I\'m gonna start there. I have gotten some amazing amounts of info from this forum on doing a complete floor restoration and will be incorporating them into my projct.

user7483

• +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2004, 05:17:51 PM »
There really needs to be a motor in that empty spot....any suggestions?

user7483

• +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2004, 05:19:26 PM »
As you can see she will need a lot of hard work and dedication to restore her to glamour but I\'m up to the challenge.

user7483

• +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2004, 05:21:00 PM »
So theres she is. I can\'t wait to start hearing from all you Twainers with all your helpful and insightful suggestions. I got my ears open...............

user7483

• +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2004, 05:25:31 PM »
Okay, construction has finally begun, or should I say deconstruction....

user7483

• +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2004, 05:26:41 PM »
The first thing we need to do is clean this mess out.

user7483

• +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2004, 05:29:33 PM »
Now that we have it cleaned out we can assess the damage. The floor is very weak all over, I\'m sure there is a lot of wood cancer underneath just from the spongy feel of it.

user7483

• +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2004, 05:30:56 PM »
Just as I expected, preliminary results seem to confirm that the entire substructure is rotted out. It doesn\'t look good, but it smells even worse.

user7483

• +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2004, 05:35:44 PM »
I know that I am jumping ahead of things but The previous owner seems to have destroyed the rear seat frame. All that is left is the cushions and plywood. The cushions are shot as is the plywood but it is in good enough shape to use as templates. Can anyone out there give me the dimensions of the frame so that I can have the local iron works shop fabricate me one?

user7483

• +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2004, 05:36:55 PM »
Back to the floor. Gonna call it quites for tonight, sun going down.

user7483

• +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2004, 05:40:50 PM »
I was surprised to find that the captian and co-pilots chairs are in very good shape. They really only need a good cleaning and they will be reusable as they are. I\'m considering attaching them to seat boxes rather than the pedastals.

user7483

• +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2004, 01:58:05 PM »
Back to the deconstruction of the Twain. Got some more of the floor up. The center beam is intact forward toward the stern but as you move aft it is deteriated. The port and stowboard stringers are total mush. The only thing holding it together at this point is the foam which to my suprise is still quite rigid.