Deck Repair

• 3 Replies

lylevan

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
Deck Repair
« on: March 13, 2019, 08:26:02 PM »
I just purchased a ca. 75 MT boat with a 115 Mercury.  The motor is difficult to start but runs well when it does.
My question concerns a 'soft' deck between the captain and front starboard seat.  I have not looked very closely but suspect the rest of the deck is ok.  Any suggestions about how to proceed?  I was planning on cutting out the rotten wood, screwing in 1/2" marine plywood on top.  I will treat plywood with poly or another waterproof cover.  I also suspect the bracing beneath the  deck is rotten but have not seen it yet.

With that, any suggestions or insights?  I am handy with woodworking, but always appreciate sage advice.
Thanks - Lyle

jjhamm22

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Deck Repair
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2019, 07:44:11 AM »
Lyle, I'm not replying as any expert, but I'm just glad to see some activity besides mine on this site. I have the last 2 posts before yours and didn't get any replies. I'm hoping the interest picks up as the weather improves.

I will share what I know about the subject. I was so excited to find the website that I read Every post. There are some real experts out there who have done this work, and much great info and knowledge in the posts. My big complaint is I can't see the pictures.  I tried a couple different computers and I sometimes see a few. Maybe there is an issue with the website?

When I got no replies, I started surfing the web and found some good places for advice. BOAT DESIGN is really good and active. IBOAT is good too. Where I really think I've learned the most is BOATWORKSTODAY. The guy has a boat repair business in WI and has a ton of great videos. I have compiled a bunch of other websites that I will email you i

I have been doing work to get my engine started before I start the fiberglass, so I have yet to tear into mine. From all the old posts I have read, I feel safe saying that you should plan on doing deck, stringers and maybe transom. I can share how to test the transom if you need to know.

Good luck and glad to have some company in MT World
Jeff

lylevan

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2019, 09:02:59 AM »
Thanks Jeff, I appreciate the quick reply and thanks for the web info, I will definitely check them out.  Actually I did repair the transom with angle iron and aluminum plates.  I did not feel that it was secure enough for the motor and I could see the motor taking a deep six while I was in the middle of the water!

As far as deck bracing, did I read correctly that MT used cardboard rolls under the deck as braces?  I have not gotten into this yet and will let you know what I find out.
Lyle

jjhamm22

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2019, 06:56:03 AM »
Sorry for the delay. I am no MT historian, but I don't remember reading in any of the old posts that they used cardboard as braces. I have heard of other brands that used cardboard forms to lay fiberglass over to form stringers etc. Let me know if you find this to be true.  It isn't necessarily bad if you have enough fiberglass for the strength that is needed.  All in all, MT boats were known for their quality and strength.