Newbie got a 79 24' MT 260V Mercruiser

• 1 Replies

jjhamm22

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
Newbie got a 79 24' MT 260V Mercruiser
« on: January 31, 2019, 11:54:46 AM »
Hey All,
I just bought a 1979 24' Mark Twain 240VCC cuddy cabin with a Mercruiser 260 I/O. I am very excited to have this boat, mainly because of the great reviews I read on your forum. It has beautiful lines and reminds me of my grandfathers cabin cruiser. This one needs a new deck and maybe stringers, but is in really nice shape otherwise for a 40 year old boat.

I have owned boats since I was a teenager, but this is my first I/O drive and my largest (by far) boat. My first task is to get acquainted with the boat and I'm hoping that someone has the manuals on the boat and/or motor and I/O. A buddy noticed that my engine has a fresh water cooling system and I would love to have some info on how that all works. The bimini top came in pieces so I'd love some help/pictures on how that goes together.

I would like to hear from anyone that has advice for a newbie before beginning the restoration work. I want to bring this baby back to her glory!
Regards,
Jeff
Kennett Square PA

iowatwain2

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie got a 79 24' MT 260V Mercruiser
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2019, 08:41:07 AM »
Welcome, I see this post is pretty old so I'm sure you've got a lot of those questions answered by now but feel free to migrate on over to the Facebook Mark Twain's group there are a lot of active users in there that can point you in the right direction. I have been helping people out there for quite a while including taking videos of the engine running and various odds and ends to show how they work.
Andrew Sawyers