Old V Sonic to fix or not

• 1 Replies

69-vsonic

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
Old V Sonic to fix or not
« on: August 28, 2017, 07:24:00 PM »
About five years ago I purchased a V Sonic from the third owner the year was believed to be a 1969 it's 16ft and it was purchased as a project boat.
At the time the previous owner had the interior removed and the boat running it needed a shift cable and Bellows the floor was soft in a few areas so I knew it would need a floor at some point.
That winter after I started pulling the boat apart I ended up breaking my ankle and needed surgery so the boat went in to storage for five years.
Last week I pulled the boat out of storage and begin to overview the boat and begin looking at what I needed to do to get it back water worthy it was last in the water around 1997. I found the floor completely trash part of one Stringer was bad and two bulkheads had completely failed.  I arranged for a professional to examine the boat and the transom to see what to do with it right now the sterndrive is off the boat in the engine is the only thing remaining inside the boat I determined the Fountain of Youth for boats was the place to take it.
Today we made the one-hour trip to the Fountain of Youth for Boats and they overviewed the boat, we found the transom to be ok but we need to pull the engine before we can determine the last bulkhead condition they quoted me $2,300 to redo the stringers, the floor and two bulkheads.

The interesting thing about the boat is it was still produced in New London Missouri and has a serial number of 1725 my question is is this actually a 1969 with a low early production number or is this an earlier boat that was one of the first  two thousand Boats produced by Mark Twain.

Second off do I fix it

Haulnazz15

• +4/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Old V Sonic to fix or not
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2017, 01:18:46 PM »
Well, assuming the engine/outdrive are good, $2,300 is a fair deal on the structural/fiberglass work I'd guess.  However, if the interior still needs to be redone/reconstructed, and the outdrive/engine/electrical needs work, you're looking at more money than the boat is worth.  You can find plenty of decent boats for $3-4K in the 16'-20' range.  So in the end, what it worth to you to have it running?  I like my MT a lot, mostly for sentimental reasons, but if I had to spend $3K on it to get it back in top shape, I'd probably just sell it and find a boat already in good condition.  That said, I'd have to spend $6-7K to find a 20' boat as well kept as mine, and aside from maybe some cupholders or more modern styling, it's going to run similar speeds and perform just the same.  Hard to justify upgrading when it already does what I need it to.   
1976 200V BR, 351/265+hp  \"Heart & Soul\"