Unable to steer right

• 2 Replies

jgalvan

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
Unable to steer right
« on: August 24, 2017, 09:29:22 PM »
Hello, I just recently bought a 1986 Mark Twain with a MCM 185 alpha one. Originally it had a carburetor issue when I bought it, I knew enough about them to get it running. As I took it out this past weekend I noticed that the boat would not steer to the right, only left. When I got home I looked it all over and found that where the steering cable goes into what I think is the steering actuator (excuse me if I'm wrong, I don't know much about the marine side or outboards), it has a couple of cylinder type linkages that look like they control the outboard, the top linkage is broken at the threads where it screws into the "steering actuator". I can't seem to find any part break downs on this steering unit. I was hoping someone could point me into the right direction where to start, I'm not positive this is the issue but it is clearly broken and needs replaced. Also what type of hydraulic fluid to fill it with if I remove the lines and drain the fluid. Thanks again.

Haulnazz15

• +4/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Unable to steer right
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2017, 03:16:33 PM »
Without seeing it, it's difficult to say.  Does your boat have power steering?  My MT is a decade older and has no power steering, so there is no hydraulic oil.  There is a single cylinder which connects to the steering arm of the outdrive.  Pretty easy to identify visually.  However, there is another small cylinder/reservior with a single plastic pressure hose and wires coming off of it which is attached to the transom bracket above the steering.  This is a trim sensor which works off of calibration with outdrive hydraulics and has nothing to do with steering.  If you have power steering assist, then your setup should have a separate cylinder above the steering linkage with high pressure hydraulic hoses that run to a power steering pump.
1976 200V BR, 351/265+hp  \"Heart & Soul\"

Haulnazz15

• +4/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Unable to steer right
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2017, 03:20:18 PM »
Another thing to check is if your prop trim tab is adjusted properly.  The tab/fin right above your prop is adjustable left/right to help offset prop torque.  Usually they are positioned pretty much straight forward, but can be moved a bit to help it track straight/hands off when on plane.  It shouldn't prevent turning in any direction, but it can sure make it difficult to turn in one direction or another if the tab is mis-adjusted.  I believe the boats with power steering have a flat anode there instead of the mini-fin.
1976 200V BR, 351/265+hp  \"Heart & Soul\"