Trailer for my 78 Mark Twain

• 5 Replies

New2Me78

• +2/-0
    • View Profile
Trailer for my 78 Mark Twain
« on: August 09, 2017, 08:14:34 PM »
Trying to figure out what would be the best trailer for my  18' 1978 V-Sonic with a 351W & has a 30gal. fuel tank.
I haven't taken it across the scales yet but I guess fully geared it's gonna be around 3-4,000lbs.
Kind of leaning toward tandem axle. Makes for more maintenance but usually pulls better & if you have a tire go down You can usually stay mobile.
Anybody out there running a tandom axles on a boat this?

New2Me78

• +2/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Trailer for my 78 Mark Twain
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2017, 07:08:16 PM »
I weighed it today at a truck stop. Came out to 3,480lbs & that's with just a little fuel in it & some interior pieces still not mounted yet. Fully loaded with gear & all I feel I will be getting into the 5,000 range. Whats under it now is a single axle trailer that I have discovered the steel tubes are rusted through on the bottom. I personally think it needs a tandem axle under it anyway. I am going to look at some used trailers tomorrow. Hoping he has a nice medium duty trailer that won't need a bunch of attention right away.

Haulnazz15

• +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2017, 02:50:05 PM »
Tandem axle.  I've got a 20ft w/351W (fuel tank isn't as big) and it's always been on a tandem axle.  I've always felt more confident with tandem axles, both from a weight perspective and a potential blowout/flat tire perspective.  When I've had a tire shred at 65mph, the trailer tracked straight and let me get to the shoulder without any issues.  A single axle shredding a tire gets much more exciting, lol.  I recently traded up to a newer tandem axle when I came across a good deal that let me trade up for no cost.  I bought a junk boat that was on a nice trailer and sold mine for more than the cost. 

I can't recommend having trailer brakes enough, doesn't matter if they're surge or electric.  Mine are surge brakes with brakes on both axles.  The old trailer had no brakes, and while we never had an incident in 15+ years, it is so much more confidence inspiring to have brakes that make even hurried-stops a breeze.  New one has a boarding ladder on the front, as well as LED lights which don't have to be disconnected when launching/loading.  I have since painted it red to match the boat interior, but you get the idea.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 02:51:40 PM by Haulnazz15 »
1976 200V BR, 351/265+hp  \"Heart & Soul\"

Haulnazz15

• +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2017, 02:59:34 PM »
Also, just make sure that you have the proper amount of tongue weight, regardless of which trailer type you get.  Usually 7-10% of total weight is a good number for tandem axles to prevent sway.  Single axles are usually 10-15% recommended tongue weight.  That can be significant with larger loads, but when only talking a 3,500lb boat, it's only 100lbs different.

New2Me78

• +2/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2017, 08:10:24 PM »
I found me a pretty decent one but unfortunately it needs some work. The guy I bought it from had one with new rims, tires, paint but he sold it a couple days before I could get there. This one is a little more HD but as I said needs some work. Something I didn't want to get in. Really want to finally get this old girl in the water. As long as I don't have another 60+ hour work week I should have the trailer & boat done by next weekend. Once I get most everything done I will post some pics.

Haulnazz15

• +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2017, 02:50:34 PM »
Just make sure to inspect/repack the bearings on whatever you buy used.  No telling how it was maintained, and you don't want to be on the side of the interstate with cars whizzing by you at 70mph with a toasted hub.  We give the trailer a fresh shot of grease to each hub every 2-3 trips just as a precautionary measure.  Make sure tires are inflated close to max cold psi, including the spare.