1976 162T with 140HP mercruiser cable HELP!!

• 5 Replies

jirwin95

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
1976 162T with 140HP mercruiser cable HELP!!
« on: July 31, 2017, 02:10:52 PM »
I have just bought a 1976 mark twain. It has the 140 HP in it with mercruiser O/D. The throttle lever was not moving, I took it apart to find 2 cables. I apologize as I am not familiar with all the names of boat parts. One cable runs to the throttle. It moves fine. The other cable I beleive is a drive cable? It runs to a lever behind motor where it connects to another cable the runs down and behind the engine. That is the cable that is stuck. When i start the boat the prop spins all the time, is this because that cable is stuck? I;m a diesel tech, this is my first boat, so i'm not too familiar with them. Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 05:39:27 PM by jirwin95 »

iowatwain2

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: 1976 162T with 140HP mercruiser cable HELP!!
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2017, 11:25:50 AM »
One cable runs the throttle on the corroborator the other cable should run to the back of the motor and acctuates the shift cable that runs down to the out drive. this one only moves slightly about 1 inch either way to put the boat into forward or reverse gear. the other cable to the carb should have a larger movement to control the throttle of the engine.

My bet is one of these cables is gummed up inside and needs to be replaced. either that or the bolts are too tight on the shift actuator making it too hard to move with the cable.

easy thing to do would be disconnected the cables and test them individually to see if they are stuck or not.

hope this helps.

jirwin95

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2017, 09:39:54 PM »
Both cables move at the hand control by drivers seat. The drive cable goes back to a bracket with some sensor or something on it and ends there, then another cable comes off of it and runs down and behind the engine to the outdrive. Really no good way to see back where it ends. I'll Try to isolate that cable by itself to see if it is stuck. I do need the control lever for boat, the handle on mine broke so the previous owner put vise grips on it to control the throttle. Where is a good place to find it, or a universal one? Do you know where I can get a manual for the boat?
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 11:10:24 PM by jirwin95 »

Haulnazz15

• +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2017, 04:53:00 PM »
Disconnect the cable from the shift plate and see if it operates smoothly from there.  If it does, then you know the "intermediate shift cable" (the one going from the shift plate to the lower unit) is seized up.  If the inverse is true, you'll need a new shift cable to run from the control to the shift plate.  If it's the intermediate cable, you'll have to pull the outdrive to replace.  If it's the control cable, you'll just have to measure the cable to make sure you get the replacement cable in the same size.  You shouldn't be able to start the engine with it in forward or reverse gear, but sometimes the prop will freewheel slowly in neutral.  If it IS in gear, that means that the shift-interrupt switch is malfunctioning/bypassed.

As far as manuals are concerned, there isn't anything available specific to the Mark Twain.  The mechanical parts are almost all pretty much universal for most boats of this period, aside from small accents and such. 
1976 200V BR, 351/265+hp  \"Heart & Soul\"

jirwin95

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2017, 12:20:46 PM »
Disconnect the cable from the shift plate and see if it operates smoothly from there.  If it does, then you know the "intermediate shift cable" (the one going from the shift plate to the lower unit) is seized up.  If the inverse is true, you'll need a new shift cable to run from the control to the shift plate.  If it's the intermediate cable, you'll have to pull the outdrive to replace.  If it's the control cable, you'll just have to measure the cable to make sure you get the replacement cable in the same size.  You shouldn't be able to start the engine with it in forward or reverse gear, but sometimes the prop will freewheel slowly in neutral.  If it IS in gear, that means that the shift-interrupt switch is malfunctioning/bypassed.

As far as manuals are concerned, there isn't anything available specific to the Mark Twain.  The mechanical parts are almost all pretty much universal for most boats of this period, aside from small accents and such.

I did come to find it is the intermediate shift cable. I got it to move, it is just stiff. Any good way to loosen it up? Can I lubricate the cable? If not, what is a good parts retailer to buy from? I need the whole control lever up front where the driver sits as well. Thanks for all the info. Like I said, im new to boats and how they operate so i don't know the names of everything just yet.

Haulnazz15

• +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2017, 03:44:41 PM »
Well, there's really not a way to lubricate the cable.  Once they corrode, it's just best to replace it.  They aren't particularly expensive ($50-60), but it's just a bit involved to replace them.  The replacement of control cables to the throttle control are a bit easier to deal with for the novice.  I do most of my purchasing from iboats.com, mercstuff.com, or similar.  I don't want to discourage you to do this yourself, but it may be more work than it's worth if you aren't familiar with it.  You'll have to remove the outdrive in order to replace the cable, which means you'll need a outdrive seal kit, and possible a way to remove the bell housing side pins to access the rear of the bell housing.  If the u-joint bellows haven't been replaced in a while, this would be a perfect time to do it as well.  It's probably a $300-400 repair for a marine shop to put in new bellows, shift cable, and drive seal kit.

As far as purchasing the throttle/shift control itself, they can get pretty pricey.  You'd probably have the best luck finding a used unit from a marine salvage place on maybe on eBay/Craigslist.  The newer controls have electronics and such that are built-in, cut-off switches, etc. which aren't applicable on 70's-model MTs.
1976 200V BR, 351/265+hp  \"Heart & Soul\"