Rare Mark Twain Boats

• 0 Replies

Mkb4550

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
Rare Mark Twain Boats
« on: November 01, 2009, 10:46:20 AM »
The first model was an early attempt at a cuddy cabin.  This was a 20-21 foot hard top. I only saw one example and it soon disapeared from the lot.  I remember that it was so unstable and top heavy that his son in law Dave rolled it.
  Next came the Huck Finn Center Console fishing boat.  This was a very basic o/b, built on the 180vbr hull. We sold quite a few of these to our coastal market but it was so sparse that it never really took off and was soon deleted from the line up.
  Have you ever seen a metal flake M.T?  We built a few in 82-83 as prototypes. it was a true 18 footer that had an industry first padded dash and a glass inner liner with snap in carpet.  The last one I saw was located on Lake Lotawanna (near K.C.) it caught my eye because it had originally belonged to my brother in law.  It was at least 14 or 15 years old and still looked great.
  Over the years I got to see nearly all of the concept drawings and sat in on discussions regarding the marketability and production problems they might present.  There were a lot of great ideas, crazy designs and just plain nutty stuff that came along.  I have to confess that some of these I later helped to incorporate into Webbcraft and other boat lines.  Some of it made good sense like mid ship fender cleats and on board fender lockers built into the gunnels.  Others like a mechanical hardtop that moved forward from the cockpit and covered the open bow when stored were not all that practical.  Another was a batwing hull design that was later actually produced in limited numbers by VOLVO.  This was a super stable, incredibly smooth and amazing performer that never took off.

lilsinker

• +1/-0
    • View Profile
Rare Mark Twain Boats
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2009, 08:43:19 PM »
It would be priceless if we could find some pics of the one-offs or the prototypes that you remember. I wanna say thanks for the memories that you\'ve brought to the forum. Not only makes for some great reading, but gives us some insight as to the inner workings of the company.  8)
I said, GIVE ME THE ROPE!
Think you\'re \'Twain is fast?
Bring it ON!!

455jet

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
Rare Mark Twain Boats
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010, 04:43:52 PM »
Well, my boat is a 1975 mark twain 17.5foot jet boat, it\'s a deep-v closed bow with a 455 olds rocket and a jaquzzi jet pump. Anyone know anything about this one? I can\'t find another like it, or any info on it at all.

I have the original title and it has the v8 on the title and it looks like it came that way from the factory.

Mkb4550

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
Rare Mark Twain Boats
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2010, 10:43:52 AM »
You do indeed have a very rare combination.  As the squirt boat phenom gained momentum in the mid 70\'s we experimented with a few installations.  While the price was attractive for the drive portion they also required a lot more torque/hp to achieve acceptable performance.  The 455/460 installations that we tested did not achieve significantly more performance than a 350 size engine could deliver in the same hull.  [provided the sterndrive height is set up for performance rather than recreation.] There was also controversy with the Coast Guard HP limits which are based on a formula which considers the length, beam, and transom depth and overall loaded weight. The dealer network did not respond well to the jet idea so we did not produce more than a few units. Your boat offers some advantages such as shallow water operation, [ beware not to clog your intake with sand or mud as it will cause undue wear on the O ring in your pump]. and really great hole shots.  Be careful how hard you turn this craft at speed.  Most squirters have a flatter bottom than your Twain and can easily swap ends in a bat turn situation.  Your Twain is more likely to stub its toe and roll.  If this ever happens steer into the turn and hit the throttle as hard as you can. Be ready to \"catch\" it when the stern gets back in line or it will try to roll the other direction.  If this doesn\'t work put your head between your knees and kiss your ### good-bye.

Haulnazz15

• +4/-0
    • View Profile
Rare Mark Twain Boats
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2010, 10:56:40 AM »
That\'s kind of what I was thinking when he originally made the post about the jet drive/BB combo.  I figured there would be some questions as to the USCG hp ratings with such a short boat.  I could imagine that the \"bat turn\" would make a nasty situation if the hull strakes caught.  You could end up easily ejecting passengers or the driver in that situation, while the boat continues on down the lake.  Either way it is a rare MT!
1976 200V BR, 351/265+hp  \"Heart & Soul\"

My_Twain_1

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
Rare Mark Twain Boats
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2010, 11:23:57 PM »
Quote from: \"Mkb4550\":1oc4vjwm
Your Twain is more likely to stub its toe and roll.  If this ever happens steer into the turn and hit the throttle as hard as you can. Be ready to \"catch\" it when the stern gets back in line or it will try to roll the other direction.  If this doesn\'t work put your head between your knees and kiss your ### good-bye.

Mine is a 1985 VSonic 170BR, Deep v. New to boating. Think this could this ever happen to me?
Think I could fit my ProCharged Mustang engine in my boat?

Haulnazz15

• +4/-0
    • View Profile
Rare Mark Twain Boats
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2010, 09:00:59 AM »
Unless you have a big block paired with a jet drive on your MT, it\'s not an issue.  The issue is primarily due to how the jet drive operates, so it\'s not a problem with normal I/O\'s and V-hull boats.  The jet drive boats have a flat \"pad\" towards the stern which is necessary for the intake grate/design to work.  The I/O\'s keep a V all the way to the back and won\'t have the issue.

fishnski

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
Rare Mark Twain Boats
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2012, 05:02:35 PM »
We recently bought a 1970 16 foot V-hull O/B with 115 HP Merc. We are trying to figure out what the buttons on the dashboard are attached to, since the labels have worn off completely. Also, the glove box fell apart and we\'d love to find a resource for replacement parts. Hull and trailer are in remarkably excellent condition. We did have the Merc to the Boat Doctor several times, so now waiting for good weather to do a competency check! Our teak steering wheel looks different from others we have seen online. Is this an after market substitute? Anxious to hear from the group.

Haulnazz15

• +4/-0
    • View Profile
Rare Mark Twain Boats
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2012, 08:23:13 PM »
Teak steering wheel?  I\'m not sure, but many of the 60\'s/70\'s MT\'s have an aluminum frame steering wheel with wood grip on it.  Mine is three spoke with 3 machined holes in each spoke.  It was factory.