Oooppssss I did it again................

• 63 Replies

user7483

• +1/-0
    • View Profile
« on: January 31, 2009, 07:51:22 PM »
Well today I went outside with the intention of beginning the process of disconnecting all of the electrical connections to the engine as well as all of the throttle and shift linkages. Well after I got started and my energy level was still high I decided to go ahead and pull the old engine hoist out of storage and connect it to the engine and see what happened. It only took about 10 minutes to have the engine out of the boat and on the ground. So I went ahead and put it into the garage for the time being.

The engine compartment was totally filthy so I pulled the pressure washer out and after about 30 minutes it was clean enough to call it a day. Tomorrow I will get in there and scrub everything with a brush and some engine degreaser. After-wards I plan on removing all of the wiring and tubing and then paint the entire thing with the paint that I bought last year. I don\'t plan on removing the transom shield but who knows, I might just get in there and go for broke. I know that I have to brush on some resin to the engine mounts before painting them for some added protection.

I ordered a rebuilt 350 long-block from Rapido-Marine and I\'m now just waiting to receive it. It should be here by Wednesday of next week. I went to Harbor Freight and picked up a new engine stand. It is rated for 1000 pounds so I think it will do the job perfectly. I will probably only be using it this one time. Hopefully this is the very last time I have to take an engine out of this thing.

I need to get all of this done within the next couple of months because I am scheduled to have gastric bypass surgery in a few months. I need to get rid of this 100 pounds that is holding me down and this is the only way that I can see me doing it. I think in the long run my health will improve so much and my energy level should shoot through the roof.
Attempting to give a damn..... Unable to give a damn... Stopping... Process failed... Damn not given!!!

user7483

• +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2009, 08:04:37 PM »
Once the engine comes I can start removing parts from the old one to be reused. I know that I will be on here a lot asking questions about all sorts of things because I just am not an engine person.
Attempting to give a damn..... Unable to give a damn... Stopping... Process failed... Damn not given!!!

user7483

• +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2009, 12:35:03 PM »
So I get up today and head outside in the 64 degree weather and get on my hands and knees and start scrubbing the engine compartment with some \"GOOP\" and a good stiff brush. Then I spray on some engine degreaser for those really tight spaces that had grimey oil and dirt deposits. After letting it all soak for about 30 minutes I break out the pressure washer again and go at it. Well that lasted until I ran out of gas (duh). Anyway, the engine compartment is now clean enough to be painted so if time permits I will start remove all the wiring and everything minus the transom shield and prepare it for painting. I will brush on a flat white paint as a primer and then spray the BilgeKote in 2 layers.

user7483

• +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2009, 03:56:19 PM »
1st coat of BilgeKote is on and it looks so antiseptic now. I wish I had done like Rick and got the gray rather than the white now. With is so white any and all dirt or grease will be so visible as opposed to the gray which would\'ve camoflauged it more. Well it is to late to cry over spilled milk now. Next weekend I will go out and put the second coat on and rerun all the wiring.

HT32BSX115

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2009, 06:28:59 PM »
Whew!

I thought when you said \"you did it again\" you bought yourself another boat with an OMC 460 King Kobra!  :shock:    :shock:    :shock:  

I feel better now!!!  :wink:  

Sometimes I wish I had used the white paint!  

You\'ll be able to see the little oil drips and you\'ll find that half-inch box wrench that you dropped in there easier!!!
1987 Four Winns 211 Liberator/454 Bravo III
I wish I had my 66 Twain back!!

user7483

• +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2009, 10:19:51 PM »
No Rick, no more OMC\'s for me!!! I just bought my wife a new car so I see at least for the next 5 years more car payments in my future. With this rebuilt engine from Rapido I hope to get that many more years of use out of the boat. Hopefully if the economy improves and the job is still intact I would like to be able to just go into a dealership and buy a new or slightly used 25\' - 30\' twin outboard offshore day cruiser. Once again this is all wishful thinking but I\'m entitled to my dreams. Around that time my baby girl will be in college so I doubt if any money will be available still.

I guess now that I think of it the white isn\'t to bad of a choice. One good thing about this is that now I can route the wiring a little more attractively instead of just having a maze of stuff criss crossing everywhere. I\'m actually a little stoked!!! Can\'t wait to get the engine and start assembling it.

Below is my wishlist item.....

[attachment=0:3q6eyb4m]Wishlist.jpg[/attachment:3q6eyb4m]

HT32BSX115

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2009, 01:33:17 AM »
We must think alike!

I just bought my Wife a new car.  The old one has 165,000 miles on it and she was getting a little worried!

I would like to have a new diesel Suburban.....(they don\'t make them )  so I will stay with my 94 (6.5L) Suburban.  I\'m seriously thinking about a 2000-2002 diesel Excursion.  They don\'t make them anymore either...

I will stay with my 87 Four Winns Liberator now though....I like that boat (and it\'s completely paid for!!...like the Suburban!)

Your Bilge Kote looks pretty good!
1987 Four Winns 211 Liberator/454 Bravo III
I wish I had my 66 Twain back!!

user7483

• +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2009, 10:48:47 PM »
I spoke to Raoul today and my engine is on the way......I feel like a child and it\'s Christmas Eve.  :D   Anyways, after talking to him I decided to go out in the garage and tidy up so as to have somewhere to put it and work on it once it gets here. I have to leave tomorrow and travel for work to one of my hospitals that I am over. Will be there til Friday evening or Saturday morning so I hope the engine comes in the morning so I can get it into the garage. If not my neighbor said that he will help the driver unload it and store it for me until I get back. Then next week I will be back on the road the middle part of the week. So I might not get started working on it until the 13th.   :(    

I am thinking about replacing the intake manifold with a new one from ebasic.com. http://bpi.ebasicpower.com/pc/INTESB/ALL2L/Intake+Manifold+GM+Small+Block+86-prior This one is at least 25 years old and has been run in salt water and I could see the rust deposits when I had the thermostat housing off last time it was out of the boat. I figure I\'ll go ahead and change it out now to avoid issues later. Otherwise everything else should bolt right on. For the most part 90% of everything is new anyway, just being bought and installed last spring and only saw 4 times in the water (fresh).

Oh yeah. I also decided to replace the outdrive with a brand new SE106 from SEI. I plan on being on the water this summer so I want to just do everything perfect from the start so I can actually enjoy this boat instead of continually working on it.

Well, I need to go to bed, I have a 5 hour drive ahead of me in the morning.
[attachment=0:yb7o5nho]Garage.JPG[/attachment:yb7o5nho]
[attachment=1:yb7o5nho]Engine stand & Outdrive.JPG[/attachment:yb7o5nho]
[attachment=2:yb7o5nho]Engine.JPG[/attachment:yb7o5nho]

user7483

• +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2009, 10:25:49 AM »
Home at last. Not for long so I got up early this morning and got outside. I was able to get a second coat on everything and am just waiting on that to dry now so I can go and start rerouting the wiring.

user7483

• +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2009, 06:23:09 PM »
I got all of my wiring nice and neat now. Time to start working on the engine now.

user7483

• +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2009, 01:37:31 PM »
This weekend I concentrated on rebuilding the rear deck and engine access door. The old one hadn\'t been treated with resin during the initial build and was starting to show signs of water damage. Furthermore, it had a design flaw in it that I always knew of and decided that I would correct it now. I bought the wood and had it cut to size at Lowes. I constructed the frame and secured it with wood glue and 2\" finishing nails shot in with a nail gun. Today I coated the topsides in resin and all of the ends. I totally saturated the wood surfaces in resin especially the ends. Next week I will coat the other sides and apply more resin to the ends. The good part about this is that the side that will not be wrapped in vinyl will also be painted. I will spray that Brightside paint that I bought last year to it and the frame to further protect and encapsulate the wood.

It really wasn\'t ideal conditions to work with resin today. The temp was about 55 and overcast so I already knew that the resin would take longer to cure. However I didn\'t expect the rain that came. It didn\'t last long but it definitely chased me inside. I covered everything in plastic tarp so it should keep it protected until it cures.

[attachment=2:2rr6lij6]DSCF0016.JPG[/attachment:2rr6lij6]

[attachment=1:2rr6lij6]DSCF0018.JPG[/attachment:2rr6lij6]

[attachment=0:2rr6lij6]DSCF0019.JPG[/attachment:2rr6lij6]

1964mt

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2009, 09:38:49 PM »
Your progress is inspirational, and your work looks great! I am enjoying the show. I should know this, but what model is this that you are working on? I would love to see a photo of the exterior.

user7483

• +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2009, 07:02:37 PM »
Actually, I;m an oddity around here parts. I\'m working on a Wellcraft. I used to own an MT and since I love the website I just stick around. Today I continued to take the old engine down to the block, labeling everything as I go. I had to stop after I realized I need a special puller to remove the harmonic balancer.

I\'m headed back out of town so I will start back up around the end of the week I guess.

user7483

• +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2009, 07:20:01 PM »
I ordered a new thermostat housing kit from ebasic today as this one has seen better days.

I also went ahead and ordered a new intake manifold while I was at it. This one was well rusty the last time I had it off so I\'m just going to replace it now. Other than that the only other thing that I will need is an oil cooler which went bad on me last year. All of the other parts are new.

user7483

• +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2009, 09:20:00 PM »
Still working on taking the engine apart to swap to the new engine. Got the harmonic balancer off and most of the other stuff. Just a little bit more and I will be ready to drag this thing to the dump.

I assembled the frame and face of the rear deck and then sprayed that brightside on the exposed surfaces. Once it dry I will give it another coat and then start wrapping in in vinyl.