More History

• 5 Replies

Anonymous

More History
« on: July 07, 2004, 05:26:49 PM »
Quote from: \"###\":2s6ps5sa
The company was tied up in court for many years. the owner of the name as far as I know does not live in this country. the owner of the building donated it to the city and now is called a small business incubator. Several business occupy the building now. The real sad thing was there was an auction on a saturday afternoon and all of the old parts, boats, engines etc were auctioned off. The remainder of the contents were scooped up by a front end loader and hauled off to the dump. Lots of great MT stuff was destroyed. Decals, stainless screws, seats, steering wheels and on and on I could go. I nearly cried!!!  I was able to buy a few things but that was about it!!!
[/color]

Edited By Clint on 1132208492

Clint

• Administrator
  • +0/-0
    • View Profile
More History
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2004, 08:00:17 PM »
That makes me want to cry.

I do know that no one has renewed the Mark Twain Trademarks since 1992, so I am not sure if anyone still owns the name.

Clint
My Twain\'s bigger than yours!

Clint

• Administrator
  • +0/-0
    • View Profile
More History
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2004, 08:54:25 PM »
Well...I know they had a few things trademarked, thier logo for one, and also \"V-Sonic\".  I think it is well over 300 bucks to file for a new trademark.  I also suspect gobs of paperwork, and what would be the most scary thing...does that open us up to any liability (previous debts, etc.)

Clint

Sure as h#ll would be cool to start the company back up.   :D
My Twain\'s bigger than yours!

Anonymous

More History
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2004, 06:00:56 PM »
I called my buddy today to verify that this
is indeed the last catalog
the co. made. The boat called the Antigua was the
hit of the Chicago boat
show that year. MT wrote over 800 boat orders at
the 10 day show yet not one
boat was built!!!
[/color]

Edited By Clint on 1132208512

Anonymous

More History
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2004, 09:00:58 PM »
I do strongly feel one of the reasons Mt has such a wonderful charm to them is these drawings that I have are hand made. They are drawn by a warm body and not spit out by some cad-cam software on a computer. I think this comes through in the final product. These sketches are detailed drawings of each boat, sort of like a blue print. They are great and I am willing to share them with the folks if they want. I also have some pics of the plant AFTER the auction. This is very dis-heartening. I had to really bite my tongue at the city for doing this. One of my friends is on the city council and I did not pitch a fit, but I sure wanted to.The spin-off companies as they are scattered about too. Crownline, Celebrity,Mariah, conquest. all these companies were started by people who worked at MT.
[/color]

Edited By Clint on 1132208528

lilsinker

• +1/-0
    • View Profile
More History
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2004, 08:02:35 AM »
Is there any way to post these drawings? I\'m sure that most of us would love to see them. They would make a nice addition to the history board. ???
I said, GIVE ME THE ROPE!
Think you\'re \'Twain is fast?
Bring it ON!!