Crownline and Mark Twain

• 7 Replies

Clint

• Administrator
  • +0/-0
    • View Profile
Crownline and Mark Twain
« on: July 20, 2002, 05:40:24 AM »
There was a rumor that Crownline had bought Mark Twain Marine. I wrote Crownline to inquire. Crownline replied with: \"Crownline boats and Mark Twain boats have nothing to do with each other, they are two seperate businesses.\"  Crownline moved into Mark Twain\'s old factory when Mark Twain went out of business.  :(  

They did not buy Mark Twain.

Clint

Edited By Clint on July 24 2002 at 22:06
My Twain\'s bigger than yours!

Clint

• Administrator
  • +0/-0
    • View Profile
Crownline and Mark Twain
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2002, 02:53:47 AM »
This was contributed by a fellow Twainer:

An additional piece of the puzzle (which may be true or not true) was suggested by a salesmen at the Detroit Metro Boat Show in 2001: he said that while CROWNLINE and MARK TWAIN were separate companies, both were owned by the same family. He also said that on a visit to the West Frankfort factory there were still several MARK TWAIN boats hung (as if on display) in the rafters of the factory.

rblyll

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
Crownline and Mark Twain
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2002, 08:35:32 AM »
From what i have heard from some of the sources around here... which some of the people i have talked to used to build these boats is that Mariah... which has since gone out of business in the past couple of years bought out Mark Twain Boats..... And if you get a chance check out some of these boats like the earlier models and there is great similarity to the twains...

Rblyll :p

Clint

• Administrator
  • +0/-0
    • View Profile
Crownline and Mark Twain
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2002, 01:51:34 PM »
I had heard that Mariah Boats was formed by a group of people who left Mark Twain Marine, thus causing the final demise of the company.  But who knows, now that both companies are no more, we may never know.

clint

82-1026917451

Crownline and Mark Twain
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2002, 05:31:27 PM »
Mariah are still in business I just test drove a new 27\' go to there website

68-1037817560

Crownline and Mark Twain
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2002, 01:45:23 PM »
Quote from: \"Robo64\":2zbqexd8
Mariah are still in business I just test drove a new 27\' go to there website

Not anymore, the company folded due to some financial scandle and a few years ago the plant burned to the ground.  I also worked at this plant for a year and it was like a sweatshop.  We were not allowed to make family plans on the weekends because if they wanted you at work and you didn\'t show up they would fire you.  Unlike Mark Twain, Mariah was non union.  The working conditions were unbearable. :angry:

Anonymous

Crownline and Mark Twain
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2003, 08:15:09 PM »
The patent company of crownline did indeed buy Mark Twain (don\'t remember there name) after the sale they ran it under the Mark Twain name for a time before shutting it down.  However I have been told by many people that after the sale the boats were cheaped up by using lighter weight beams in the hulls,  while the hull design looks the same the ride quality suffered greatly, and sales fell.  I\'ve never known for sure when this \"cheaping took place\" but I believe it to have been in the late \'70\'s to the early \'80\'s (the last of the Vsonic hulls.  I have had the oportunity to ride in a newer vs an older hull and the difference is very noticable.  I grew up with these boats and love the very much If anyone is looking to buy one around the Lake of the Ozarks in Missouri I know where several can be found.  Some of them needing only a tune-up and fresh upolstery to be ready for action it would do my heart good to see these boats bought by someone who would give them the care they deserve.

spedbugy

P.S.  I had always heard that the founders of Mariah came from Sea Ray but the was just hersay :vader:

gwidion

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
Crownline and Mark Twain
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2006, 04:46:57 PM »
Unfortunately, the reducing of internal fiberglass structure in the 70\'s was not unique to Mark Twain.  Most runabouts sufferred the same fate due to the petroleum shortages of that time.  The availability and cost of refined petroleum product \"fiberglass\" caused many manufacturers to make poor products...and some still do!
Just lookin\' to reclaim a piece of my childhood!